TTS support

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
kremerf
Prole

TTS support

Post by kremerf »

Hi all,

I am developping audio games for the Milestone device of bones.ch in Lua.
The Lua implementtation for Milestone offers TTS as well as playback of sound files.

I develop them on my Windows PC and test them in the standard Lua interpreter, before I copy the games onto the Milestone. This works well, however I do not have audio support, except my screenn reader (NVDA) will be supported.
To have also the playback functionality for the sound files, I found löve for testing on PC. Unfortunnately, it offers no TTS, so I set t.windows = nil and consolee =true and launch my games. This works so far, but has some limitations:

- love.keypressed() only works when t.windows is not nil.

- NVDA gets print() output first after the first io.read() to get the focus.

Apart from this, playback works and NVDA reads what will be printed in the console with the mentioned limitations.

Is there a TTS implementtation for löve (planned)?

As I am new to löve, please apologize if I picked the wrong forum.

Regards,
Frank
BrotSagtMist
Party member

Re: TTS support

Post by BrotSagtMist »

If that is just for a test you can simply throw the text into any terminal playback.
Basically if we are on löve we replace the playback function with something like
function playback(text) io.popen("espeak ".. text) end

keypresses of course only work when there is a window. If that bugs you, it may be possible to use a joypad instead, they can theoretically work without, there are some forum posts here that explain how.

On a sidenote: when did bones release lua funcituonality? I had this device for so many years now and they had no updates for years.
obey