Released a demo of my new mystery game WitchDoctor

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
alexjgriffith
Prole

Released a demo of my new mystery game WitchDoctor

Post by alexjgriffith »

Demo Link: https://alexjgriffith.itch.io/witchdoctor

Working on a new casual horror game where you try and solve the mystery of why a tiny valley village has been submerged in eternal darkness.

A demo is going up on Friday Jan 26th

So far the mechanics include:
  • Daily NPC Schedules
  • Investigation driven dialog, where new dialog options emerge as you find clues.
  • A clue tracking system for referencing the information you have found so far
  • Death by darkness, if you stay out at "night" you will get consumed by the darkness (not sure if this belongs in a casual game)
When you try and sleep but are just rent with the screams of nightmare instead.

The whole village is cast in darkness. You've been dropped in to solve the problem. There is no way out.

Even the houses are dark. Villagers standing eerily in dim candlelight
Last edited by alexjgriffith on Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:24 am, edited 4 times in total.
zingo
Prole

Re: Working on a new mystery game WitchDoctor

Post by zingo »

Intriguing concept, and enshrouding everything in darkness really enhances the atmosphere. It could even have a sort of "Lovecraftian/Shadow over Innsmouth" vibe (albiet, that would be a little less "casual" for a horror theme.) I also really like the investigative, mystery solving aspect :) Keep at it, looking forward to seeing more of what you're working on.
alexjgriffith
Prole

Post by alexjgriffith »

The first draft is now up on itch.io covering the first day of the darkening.

I'm still playing around with the characterization of the NPCs and trying to find the best way to weave together numerous plot points.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

https://alexjgriffith.itch.io/witchdoctor

alexjgriffith
Prole

Post by alexjgriffith »

zingo wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:20 pm Intriguing concept, and enshrouding everything in darkness really enhances the atmosphere. It could even have a sort of "Lovecraftian/Shadow over Innsmouth" vibe (albiet, that would be a little less "casual" for a horror theme.) I also really like the investigative, mystery solving aspect :) Keep at it, looking forward to seeing more of what you're working on.
Thanks! I was going for a sort of "horror-lite" style with Lovecraft vibes. Currently I have the darkness death mechanics in the game, but I toned down the survival aspect by having your torch last for ~3 in game hours.