Just launched Typing Bullets on Steam

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
slime
Solid Snayke

Re: Just launched Typing Bullets on Steam

Post by slime »

ivan wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:25 pm I do not want to hijack this topic
ivan wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:52 am I don't want to take away anything from cip
ivan wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:02 pm Sorry about hijacking this post, but this is not about me at all
If you actually felt that way you would've written your posts much differently, and maybe you wouldn't have posted anything at all. I will delete further posts from you in this thread if they continue to be off-topic. If you want to discuss Steam and Valve aside from the specifics of someone's game release, a thread about that release is the complete wrong place to do it.
cip
Prole

Post by cip »

Hi all,

Apologies for the (very) late reply :( I have to get better at replying to posts, and possibly posting more in general...2024 resolution, here I come :)

@ivan: as has been already pointed out, this post was about the LÖVE framework and about the game.

@GVovkiv: thank you for your comment, and I hope you are safe!

@togFox: thank you for the positive feedback! I'm sure you could release a game as well! I checked out Silent Strike from your forum signature, and that looks like a lot of fun! There certainly are players who enjoy complex games like Silent Strike, so there is definitely a lot of potential here to release the game on the platforms you mentioned (and others as well). are you working on a game at the moment? if you have any questions about releasing a game, please let me know and I would be very happy to help. it's one of the reasons I made this post, so that other people can see that LÖVE games are being released on Steam, and to answer any questions. while (almost) all game engines and frameworks are wonderful, I wish that more people would consider using LÖVE as well.

@marclurr: thank you for your comment.

@slime: thank you for your comment. also, please correct me if I'm wrong, but from my research into shaders I assume that you have worked on the shader language in LÖVE. while working and porting over shaders to Typing Bullets I was grateful multiple times for the people who have made working with shaders so easy in this framework. I don't know how to build them from scratch, but it was quite easy porting them over from PixiJS and Phaser 3, and I believe that this is due to the fact that the framework does all the heavy lifting for the developer. thank you for your hard work with the framework and for your work on the forums!

Wish you all a happy and safe new year!
Last edited by cip on Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
soulmata
Prole

Post by soulmata »

How's your experience with Steam been so far? I'm 10 months into release (still in EA, so not 1.0 yet), and a small community has started growing around my game, but there are some big love-isms I'm having a hard time overcoming (Steam API integration is a huge one). Are you using anything to bind steam and love?
Endless Dark: An existential horror game written in LOVE in which you are tasked with keeping a sleeper colony ship intact.
keharriso
Citizen

Post by keharriso »

I've had some success in testing with luasteam:
https://github.com/keharriso/luasteam

It's been fairly easy to implement new/missing functions, and I've been adding more as I need them.
LÖVE-Nuklear - a lightweight immediate mode GUI for LÖVE games
Bobble68
Party member

Post by Bobble68 »

keharriso wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:47 am I've had some success in testing with luasteam:
https://github.com/keharriso/luasteam

It's been fairly easy to implement new/missing functions, and I've been adding more as I need them.
If I ever get my game on steam, I'll probably use luasteam - side note, is it possible to test this stuff out without having to pay the submission fee? Probbaly not something I should be wasting my time on yet buuuuuuuut it would be fun to learn how to do achievements and stuff.
Dragon
keharriso
Citizen

Post by keharriso »

Bobble68 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:12 pm If I ever get my game on steam, I'll probably use luasteam - side note, is it possible to test this stuff out without having to pay the submission fee? Probbaly not something I should be wasting my time on yet buuuuuuuut it would be fun to learn how to do achievements and stuff.
No, I think you need a Steam App ID in order to test the API.
LÖVE-Nuklear - a lightweight immediate mode GUI for LÖVE games
cip
Prole

Post by cip »

hi @soulmata: just checked out your game, Endless Dark, and it looks really cool, and the trailer really conveys the horror atmosphere. congrats on the game and on building a community around it! :)

my experience with Steam has been wonderful. it's important to note that it's super helpful and important to read the Steam documentation, but if you have any questions that are unique to your game you can be confident to reach out to their support team for help. do you have any questions in particular about the Steam upload?

for a general view of my workflow:
  • for creating the .exe file and building the overall game package that will go in the folder that you will upload on Steam I have used the following video, from DevJeeper (who also has an awesome tutorial series on their YouTube channel):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7II1fi ... =DevJeeper
  • for Typing Bullets unfortunately I didn't manage to implement Steam Achievements, but from my research luasteam (linked above by @keharriso, https://github.com/keharriso/luasteam) is a great interface between LÖVE and Steam. and yes, from what I can tell Steam API integration does help a lot and I am looking into implementing this for future games.

AuroDev has a short tutorial for adding Achievements as well (although Unity is used in these videos, the basics should be the same, and you would use luasteam as an interface between Steam and your game):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s554p28 ... el=AuroDev
I have also found in the BYTEPATH GitHub repository some helpful hints as to how to implement Achievements (this code is MIT license, and super helpful),
https://github.com/a327ex/BYTEPATH

if you have any other questions feel free to ask.