I am using LOVE to make an Animated Youtube Cartoon

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
thestarknight
Prole

I am using LOVE to make an Animated Youtube Cartoon

Post by thestarknight »

I post this here since the "Games and Creation" is for playable stuff.. Well actually you click play on a video.. does that makes it "playable" :D ? Well anyway let's get to the point. Lately I have have been creating a little youtube cartoon series repurposing the game code and characters. Since the code I wrote to handle cutscenes was pretty solid It was not so hard to do. My art style is .. oh well let's just say ..retro, yet I think the result is still nice.
If you want to give a look below is the link to all the videos I made. The oldest were... just barebone.. and you might see how I experimented different formats and improved.
What you see in the videos is 100% recorded gameplay, except the end credits that I add on edit.

The playlist
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... -dIRom5WNq

aaand this is the channel
https://www.youtube.com/@thestarknight

So what do you think about it ? ^^ Feel free to comment and share your thoughts on the series... but only the good ones xD (hopefully ^^ )

Aaaand I hope you enjoy it :D

The only notable libraries I am Using are
- a modifired STI since I am using Tiled but I needed it to do some some more things, like day an night effects, lights and parallaxes, so I added those.
- and love-animation since the library was simple and "sturdy" as I like! So I could hammer it without breaking it and now it natively loads aseprite, play sounds during animations, handle mount points, execute interactions with other animations and a lot, lot more.

The rest of the code is wrote by me, even if now.. for making the videos is pretty useless (except the cutscenes manager, that's my masterpiece ^^) if the series catches up I might start a total rewrite turning the game code in a full video maker. (There are a lot of "acrobatic" stuff LOVE can do that I drool to try and implement )
Bobble68
Party member

Re: I am using LOVE to make an Animated Youtube Cartoon

Post by Bobble68 »

Seems pretty charming so far! I've been meaning to add functionality for cutscenes in my own game, maybe I should research how it's done.

This is just my own opinion, but since the style of it is still very clearly an RPG, maybe it might be worth leaning into it a bit more? Of what I've seen so far, the stories don't really play into it at all, they just sort of happen in that world.
Dragon
thestarknight
Prole

Post by thestarknight »

Bobble68 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:32 pm Seems pretty charming so far! I've been meaning to add functionality for cutscenes in my own game, maybe I should research how it's done.

This is just my own opinion, but since the style of it is still very clearly an RPG, maybe it might be worth leaning into it a bit more? Of what I've seen so far, the stories don't really play into it at all, they just sort of happen in that world.
Thank you Bobbie ^^ I am happy you like it. About making it with more RPGish content, well I let it out on purpose at the beginning making the "character stay out of character" but I wonder if this is still the case.. I'll think about this.

Also since you said you want to add some cutscene to your game I thought to share the logic of mine, maybe it might help you. So I have patched up a simple example hopefully It might be of some help.

Usually the ways to add cutscenes are: only graphical, just put stuff and text on screen, is good and quick for simple ones. Or with a cutscene manager if you have many and complex ones. I use the latter. Give it a look :D
Is made with love 11.4
cutscene.zip
cutscene manager example
(107.74 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
RNavega
Party member

Post by RNavega »

thestarknight wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:44 pm Is made with love 11.4
cutscene.zip
Playing that demo and then going through the code to look at the clockwork is always fun. Thanks for sharing and good luck with your videos.
Bobble68
Party member

Post by Bobble68 »

thestarknight wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:44 pm
Usually the ways to add cutscenes are: only graphical, just put stuff and text on screen, is good and quick for simple ones. Or with a cutscene manager if you have many and complex ones. I use the latter. Give it a look :D
Is made with love 11.4

cutscene.zip
Aw thanks for this! My current engine is a bit of a mess in terms of how dialogue and NPCs work, so I might need to rework it with queues in mind.
Dragon