Will Love have ephemeron table(or higher version lua) in the future?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
abyssol
Prole

Will Love have ephemeron table(or higher version lua) in the future?

Post by abyssol »

I went back to taste latest lua for a few days. I think it has really fascinated me. :3

Like Ephemeron table, it is helpful for games development, especially in objects' lifecycle management. It help reducing code indeed.

__gc is also a good feature.

So I am deciding between luaJit and lua5.4, but when I got a truth: I have got to bind libary to lua for my own, I came back to Love sincerely.

In fact, the point that lua5.4 attracts me is that, its source code seems newly, and it told me, if I write code properly, lua run fast! when I review code of luaJit or lua5.1, it seems old and abandoned, luaJit's new GC seems like always in the works.
GVovkiv
Party member

Re: Will Love have ephemeron table(or higher version lua) in the future?

Post by GVovkiv »

Well, you can compile love with whatever lua interpreter you want, be it vanilla lua or something more custom. And it's very unlikely that vanilla lua will be used as default anytime soon, because luajit is very darn fast, which is (at least, IMHO) more important to game development then some syntax sugar or additional features (which most likely won't be used most of the time anyway) and luajit is still pretty much alive project, so why change it to something else?
abyssol
Prole

Post by abyssol »

GVovkiv wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:26 am Well, you can compile love with whatever lua interpreter you want, be it vanilla lua or something more custom. And it's very unlikely that vanilla lua will be used as default anytime soon, because luajit is very darn fast, which is (at least, IMHO) more important to game development then some syntax sugar or additional features (which most likely won't be used most of the time anyway) and luajit is still pretty much alive project, so why change it to something else?
Oh well, I didn't know much about Love project itself. I will try to compile Love with Lua5.4, thank you for telling me. Ah, when I choose Love as development tool, I didn't create large, non-trivial game, because game engines are more popular used nowadays. I am doing research in Love, it brings me a pure code environment, So I am more concerned with language features than performce.

Love is really good for starting research, and easy, light, friendly.
When I first knew about love, I was in high school, fortunately I was not going to learn python. Now I still keep using love to start coding quickly. It is unique I thought. And Lua's language design also played an irreplaceable role.
Last edited by abyssol on Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GVovkiv
Party member

Post by GVovkiv »

Yep, love source here: https://github.com/love2d/love
If you not exactly sure how to build love with different lua, post questions on this forums here or discord server https://discord.com/invite/rhUets9