Can I create an engine on top of Love?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
zayadev
Prole

Can I create an engine on top of Love?

Post by zayadev »

Hello! I'm Zaya, I'm a Love developer who loves the Love framework and the Lua language, I saw few options for modern engines to create games with Lua and I decided to create my own.
Can I use Love to generate graphics and sounds? If so, can I change the name of some functions? And about licenses, how should I proceed with them, if I can use love in my engine?
zorg
Party member

Re: Can I create an engine on top of Love?

Post by zorg »

What do you mean exactly by generating graphics and sounds? Procedural stuff? Sure, you can programmatically make both graphics and sounds with ImageData and SoundData objects, for starters.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
ivan
Party member

Post by ivan »

zorg wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:31 pm What do you mean exactly by generating graphics and sounds? Procedural stuff? Sure, you can programmatically make both graphics and sounds with ImageData and SoundData objects, for starters.
I think the original poster is eluding to creating/modifying assets within the Love2D application itself - sort of like an editor.
Lovingsoul1337
Citizen

Post by Lovingsoul1337 »

I think yes but for a commercial one where this me to risky(but im just beginner coder)

eventually some other's here will answer aswell ?

and i personally would eventually recommend opengl or c++ + opengl or lua + opengl and write your engine from scratch not with a already somewhat overblown and people pleasing framework.

i had a similiar idea in mind about making a game engine with c++ and sfml.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

Lovingsoul1337 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:34 pm I think yes but for a commercial one where this me to risky(but im just beginner coder)

eventually some other's here will answer aswell ?

and i personally would eventually recommend opengl or c++ + opengl or lua + opengl and write your engine from scratch not with a already somewhat overblown and people pleasing framework.

i had a similiar idea in mind about making a game engine with c++ and sfml.
There's nothing risky about making an engine on top of löve, except in terms of you potentially wasting time and/or your life away with it, so that statement of yours was probably not the best one to say.

Also, löve already is written in c++, uses openGL, and allows you to code in lua (and to load c libraries as well, should you need them) so you don't need to reinvent the wheel from scratch.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
Lovingsoul1337
Citizen

Post by Lovingsoul1337 »

yea but if she doe's then she has so much in her engine she doesn't know of and so many things she never needed.

i personally if i had the skills wouldn't wanted this for my engine.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

Thankfully you are not other people. :3