tile map help

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
jumico
Prole

tile map help

Post by jumico »

I would like to use a tile map for a game and was wondering if their was a simple way to import one into love. I am aware that people have done this with maps from Tiled but I did a search and am not completely clear in all you have to do. Is there any benefit in doing it by hand like in the tutorial? Thanks.
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Re: tile map help

Post by nevon »

I haven't actually used tiled myself, but I was under the impression that you could actually export your projects as Lua tables.
jumico
Prole

Post by jumico »

Thanks it looks like the old Java version does but I don't see it in the new version. I'm sure the old one will work okay.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

The old java version is unmaintained. The new version does (apparently) more stuff, but it only exports to xml.

There's this project from some LÖVE users that somehow parses the xml generated by it and loads it in Lua. I haven't used it myself and I don't know its current status.

Also, I'm doing a tutorial about tile-based stuff. It's not finished yet, and I don't think I'll be able to continue until next year.
When I write def I mean function.
jumico
Prole

Post by jumico »

Cool thanks for the link and the tutorials. So far your tutorials have been pretty helpful. The tile tutorials on this site are good but yours seem better and more clear. I think the tutorial on this site has a mistake. It uses tilesize=32 tilesize=32 instead of tilesizew=32 and tilesizeh=32 which makes more sense if you need to change one of them.
http://love2d.org/wiki/Tutorial:Efficie ... _Scrolling
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

The tutorials on the wiki were the reason for creating my own. I felt LÖVE needed better ones.

I have to give some credit to the guys that made them, though - I've realized writing a comprehensive and simple tutorial can be more daunting that what it initially seems.
When I write def I mean function.
adrix89
Party member

Post by adrix89 »

ninwa example basically does it line by line with some basic patern matching
However Tiled csv format is probably more sane to work with as you can do some optimizing with it
To the end of scope it doesn't really matter what you use as long as you aren't working with huge files as the time to load is negligible
I use Workflowy but you can check out Dynalist as its the better offer.