[Noob Help] Chose-Your-Own-Adventure type games?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Rapier838
Prole

[Noob Help] Chose-Your-Own-Adventure type games?

Post by Rapier838 »

I plan on working on on a CYOA-type game, where text shows up, and you (going by Caanoo controls) use Y and X to scroll up/down and make a choice (using the analog stick to scroll through choices and B to select). Each of these choices would direct you to a different page with different text.

Thing is, I'm only good at making the text for the choices and responses. I can't do scripting for the life of me, to the point where I have a hard time doing HelloWorld (I know, I suck at this). So, does anybody know what I would want to do?
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Re: [Noob Help] Chose-Your-Own-Adventure type games?

Post by TechnoCat »

You'll probably want to start spending most of your time learning Lua. Possibly with a focus on the table type.
Then, when you feel proficient in Lua, move onto Love functions. And just start checking out each module.

Or if you are feeling really brave, just dive right into the Love tutorials on the wiki. http://love2d.org/wiki/Category:Tutorials
Rapier838
Prole

Post by Rapier838 »

TechnoCat wrote:You'll probably want to start spending most of your time learning Lua. Possibly with a focus on the table type.
Then, when you feel proficient in Lua, move onto Love functions. And just start checking out each module.

Or if you are feeling really brave, just dive right into the Love tutorials on the wiki. http://love2d.org/wiki/Category:Tutorials
Thanks. Which tutorials would be best for what I'm trying to do, though?
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Callback Functions and Using Input, probably. But most of the tutorials are related to graphics, which you will use little of, I assume. So I recommend reading Programming in Lua, if you haven't already, and experimenting with stand-alone Lua scripts before diving in LÖVE.

You could start with LÖVE right away, but then you have the possibility (almost a certainty) that you'll get stuck and don't know enough Lua to fix it.
Help us help you: attach a .love.