When are we going to see 0.12.0?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
DerpChest
Prole

When are we going to see 0.12.0?

Post by DerpChest »

It's been a year since a new love version, at least give us something, like a release date or what the no game screen looks like.
Last edited by DerpChest on Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slime
Solid Snayke

Re: When are we going to see 0.12.0?

Post by slime »

The next version will be 11.4, and then probably 12.0. There won't be a 0.12 release. :D

There is no new no-game screen yet as those are usually done by rude in his free time, and he hasn't spent his free time on a new one yet. In fact, every part of love is done in people's free time at their own leisure, so demands like that seem pretty rude. Since love is open source, anyone including you can help make the next versions happen in your free time as well.

That being said, there are already several changes that have gone into 12.0's development, and many more are planned. If you want to stay up to date with it you can do so here: https://github.com/love2d/love/branches
sphyrth
Party member

Post by sphyrth »

DerpChest wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:36 pm It's been 2 to 3 years since a new love version, at least give us something, like a release date or what the no game screen looks like.
You might be looking for features that the current version doesn't have. At least state what they are.
AuahDark
Party member

Post by AuahDark »

11.3 is released on October 27th 2019, so your argument of "2 or 3 years" (as of writing) is invalid.

Anyway, 11.4 is probably gonna be released soon, although we have no ETA. I'm working on fixing problems in the Android port which includes Android 11 compatibility.
Profile. Do you encounter crashes in LÖVE Android and wanna send me logcats? Please hit me up in LÖVE Discord and send the full logcat file!
dusoft
Party member

Post by dusoft »

AuahDark wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:19 pm 11.3 is released on October 27th 2019, so your argument of "2 or 3 years" (as of writing) is invalid.

Anyway, 11.4 is probably gonna be released soon, although we have no ETA. I'm working on fixing problems in the Android port which includes Android 11 compatibility.
Although not an OP: thanks! Working on Android compatibility is much appreciated!
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

In terms of large / bullet point features, here's an overview of plans for 12.0:
  • Expanded filesystem access, Images and Canvases restructured into just Textures, vertex/index/shader-storage/texel Buffer support, and lower memory use for Textures have all been completed for 12.0.
  • Basic HTTPS support is planned.
  • Compute shaders, a Metal graphics backend, and a restructured love.graphics drawing API focused on Render Passes are all planned for the future, and at least one of those three will make it into 12.0 - and hopefully 2/3. But maybe not all 3, since that's a ton of work for one release.
  • Expanded joystick/gamepad and phone sensor APIs are being considered. Hopefully for 12.0, but definitely a later version if not.
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

And LuaJIT 2.1? I saw that mentioned, and it's a feature that I am eager to get, because it should support trace stitching (meaning that loops containing calls to Löve functions or calls to NYI stuff will no longer prevent JIT compilation).
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

LuaJIT 2.1 will hopefully be used for love 11.4, since arm64 platforms (eg Apple Silicon Macs) need to use it.
DerpChest
Prole

Post by DerpChest »

slime wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:45 pm There is no new no-game screen yet as those are usually done by rude in his free time,
I looked at the code for the nogame.lua script in the 12.0 branch in github, and the code says a lot of things relating to a "duckloon" which is the floating balloon you see in 11.0 - 11.3 no game screen.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

DerpChest wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:57 pm I looked at the code for the nogame.lua script in the 12.0 branch in github, and the code says a lot of things relating to a "duckloon" which is the floating balloon you see in 11.0 - 11.3 no game screen.
Yes, as I said in my post you quoted, there's no new no-game screen yet, its code hasn't changed - because the person who creates those in his own free time hasn't made a new one yet.

I'm also interested in what Sphyrth asked earlier in the thread - are you looking for specific new features?