Canvas support 99% ?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
gcmartijn
Party member

Canvas support 99% ?

Post by gcmartijn »

How many devices will support the Canvas functions Using the latest love version?

https://love2d.org/wiki/Canvas

For now my target is MacOs/Windows/iOS/latest android and if everything goes very goed (keep on dreaming, nintendo switch and maybe other consoles when possible in the future).

Maybe I want to try/use this example here https://github.com/a327ex/STALKER-X

Code: Select all

function love.load()
    love.graphics.setDefaultFilter('nearest', 'nearest') -- scale everything with nearest neighbor
    canvas = love.graphics.newCanvas(400, 300)
end

function love.draw()
    love.graphics.setCanvas(canvas)
    love.graphics.clear()
    -- draw the game here
    love.graphics.setCanvas()

-- Draw the 400x300 canvas scaled by 2 to a 800x600 screen
    love.graphics.setColor(1, 1, 1, 1)
    love.graphics.setBlendMode('alpha', 'premultiplied')
    love.graphics.draw(canvas, 0, 0, 0, 2, 2)
    love.graphics.setBlendMode('alpha')
end

Now I did ask this question, are there other functions that are not supported for all systems so I can try to avoid them ?
slime
Solid Snayke

Re: Canvas support 99% ?

Post by slime »

Canvases have guaranteed support on all systems that can run LÖVE, in version 0.10 and newer.
gcmartijn wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:57 pm Now I did ask this question, are there other functions that are not supported for all systems so I can try to avoid them ?
There are a few – see the GraphicsFeature, love.graphics.getTextureType, love.graphics.getImageFormats, love.graphics.getCanvasFormats, and GraphicsLimit wiki pages.
gcmartijn
Party member

Post by gcmartijn »

Oke thanks.

And is there are list what devices or systems love support at the moment ?
For example what minimum iOS version ? Or recommended version.
Or what iPad version. I'm far from deployment but its good to know if something can work on a 'old' iPad 4 with a old iOS version or not.

Would be nice to have a table to know what targets are 100% working to ignore the others.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

love theoretically supports iOS 8 and newer, but the iOS App Store might only let you (or any app developer) deploy to iOS 9 and newer. macOS and Windows requirements are mostly listed on the front page (macOS 10.7+, Windows Vista+) - love requires at least OpenGL ES 2 or OpenGL 2 on all platforms, which encompasses most computers from the past 15 years that can run a graphical operating system and most phones from the past 6-10 years.
gcmartijn
Party member

Post by gcmartijn »

oke good to know.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

Less officially, for switch homebrew, there's LövePotion, but that has its own set of limitations.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.