Missile Command Beta

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Nexion
Prole

Missile Command Beta

Post by Nexion »

Well, I got the general workings of my first real production game that I've been working on (and my final for my independent study course in school)

Missile Command
Shoot the falling red diamond before it reaches the bottom of the screen
  • Bullets will originate from whatever cannon the mouse cursor is closest too
  • Bullets will be destroyed if they hit the walls
  • There's a limited number of bullets that can be in the air at a given time, you can change this by changing the "insert_max" variable in the load function (default: 10)
  • You get a graphical display of the current Level, Cannon Damage (decreases with every level), Accuracy and Shots fired
  • Total of 14 levels
I haven't managed to get past level like 5, if anyone gets higher then that or beats it, post a screenshot.

v0.2
Changelog:
    • Changed control System
    • Now you fire from whatever cannon you pick from, choosing with Left, Down, and Right arrow keys to fire Left, Middle, and Right cannons Respectively
    • A bouncing indicator shows you what cannon is active
  • Added Impact, Explosion, cannon switch, and changed Firing sounds
  • Added explosion animation
  • The mob will now bounce of the walls instead of sliding down them
  • Added a "Spread" variable - gives you a random positive or negative offset to your firing angle - can be adjusted in the code (default: 5 degrees)
    • Added a Special Burst
    • Shotgun style attack that can be used to beat the last level.
    • You start with a limit of two bursts (Can be changed by adding to the "specials" variable)
    • You can also adjust the number of bullets per burst, but I have found anymore then the default (10) will cause the game to crash for some reason
  • Cleaned and documented code for easier reading
The download is too large to attach the the forums, so I have to use an external upload site -.- *cough RUDE FIX THIS cough*
!!!!USE THIS DOWNLOAD!!!! NOT THE ATTACHMENT!!!!
Attachments
Missle Command.zip
v0.1
(215.73 KiB) Downloaded 480 times
Last edited by Nexion on Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Voker57
Prole

Re: Missile Command Beta

Post by Voker57 »

Impossible to play for me, as my screen resolution is 1024x768. I suggest using relative coordinates and/or decreasing resolution or using fullscreen only
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Hmm... remembers me of the gameboy color.... great job, however bombs go a little too fast (or the bullets too slow)
Green_Hell
Citizen

Post by Green_Hell »

I Like the dynamics. The fact that I don't know which canon is going to shoot makes the game interesting but also very difficult.

2 Suggestions if I may:
  • mark somehow the canon which is going to shoot (shield, light, whatever :))
  • stop counting shots fired in game over screen
Cool anyway.
>>I love LÖVE.<<
Nexion
Prole

Post by Nexion »

OK So I've changed the firing system a bit.
Now you choose what cannon to fire with by pressing your left,bottom, and right arrow keys to fire the left,middle, and right cannons respectively
There is also an animated (yes, animated) indicator that's easy to see so you know what cannon you're going to fire with.
I also noticed that straight line firing made it actually harder, so I added a variable for some spread.
I fixed the bug where you could keep firing after the win/lose screen popped up as well
u9_
Citizen

Post by u9_ »

I would also be nice if you changed the name of your zip file to .love. That way i can run it directly from my browser instead of downloading it first :)
Nexion
Prole

Post by Nexion »

The only reason I didn't was because I uploaded it at school, and they have those computers shut down hard core, won't let you rename anything.
Green_Hell
Citizen

Post by Green_Hell »

Nexion wrote:Sorry I can't make it a .love - these school computers are locked down hardcore like.
:(

I can't really imagine such a situation where you can't click on Start>>Run... and type cmd. Then cd to your directory and rename it

Code: Select all

ren file.zip file.love

Do they have enabled booting from CD(LED blinks after restart) and if not can you get into BIOS settings and enable it? :twisted:
>>I love LÖVE.<<
Green_Hell
Citizen

Post by Green_Hell »

Anyway

Next time, please put only the root of the directory into zip. Now I have to download the file, unzip contained folder, zip the content of this folder again and rename it to love extension.
>>I love LÖVE.<<
Nexion
Prole

Post by Nexion »

Haha, I wish we had access to run. We can't even right click on most things at school.