Poll: What two smiley sets do you like best?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.

What two smiley sets do you löve best?

Poll ended at Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:19 am

Image (Xfcn)
6%
Image (mastastealth)
40%
Image (mikulka)
6%
Image (farvardin)
11%
Image (needcoffee)
36%

Total votes: 47

Green_Hell
Citizen

Re: Poll: What two smiley sets do you like best?

Post by Green_Hell »

I thought there was a competition and who won the compo would see his smiles installed on LÖVE forum.

But I was very probably likely wrong.
>>I love LÖVE.<<
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

mastastealth's icons not contrasty enough? Image Nah! It's cool! Image I mean come on! Don't break my heart! Image I prefer that warm fuzzy feeling... Image Plus I would get really pissy if you don't do what I want! Image Strawberries? Image You can lick strawberries! Image

So what about the smileys now? Image I mean, it's really not my style to insist on something Image but I'm sure you'll do it if I just ask nice, yes? Image No!? Image Uhm. Image I r not amuzed. Image

Who's a nice little yes-sayer? Image

Okay, does anyone have color suggestions? I like them the way they are... though I agree that the contrast is low... but is that so bad?

PS: test 1 Image
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
rude
Administrator

Post by rude »

Ok. Fine. I normally try to avoid discussions related to graphical design, because it seems to spawn retardation out from nowhere. But very well, here's my opinion:

The smilies may look cool when percieved in isolation; clustered on their white background, but I feel that they lose most of their expressiveness when used inline in an actual post. The smilies themselves are not "dominant" enough, and the white interior does not really play that nice with the rest of the page theme if you ask me, which is opposite of what I expected, actually. Moreover, some of the smilies look slightly retarded (the ones with 1px eyes), although I guess that's the point on one or two of them. :D

I could probably go on, but that would probably just piss mastastealth off further. I mean no disrespect by the way, I'm just being honest (and hopefully constructive).

In any case, just because they're not 100% spot-on in my eyes, doesn't mean that I won't OBEY if that's what everyone really wants. I'm just not sure if people took this stuff into consideration when voting.
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

The contest winners are not supposed to be automatically the forum smilies.
The winning smiley set will not automatically become this forum's icon set. This has to be decided by the administrators and will be discussed after the vote is over.
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
rude
Administrator

Post by rude »

I feel that these smilies somehow fit better as "emotion status" icons.

Not that this is a real system, it's just a 5 minute mock-up.
Attachments
chat-or-something.png
chat-or-something.png (18.1 KiB) Viewed 6288 times
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

tehehehe

ps: great layout Image

So even with different colors the icons won't be as good as others because of 1-pixel eyes... :|

pps: yeah, we need more voices people! shall the forum be lovely or contrasty?
u9_
Citizen

Post by u9_ »

Excellent feedback, rude. I myself like mastastealth's icons. I especially appreciate the fact that they are subtle instead of the (in my opinion) childish bloated rubbish that fills many posts :) (not much around here though.) So i vote nay on dominant. I agree with rude on some of them looking slightly retarded... But that just means they need a little more work. I really think it is cool that they have maintain the style of the website and everything we have come to associate with LOVE.

Btw, I cannot vote. I think voting is closed? Or maybe i have already voted, but just don't remember.
Green_Hell
Citizen

Post by Green_Hell »

I don't have problem with their contrast but I'm quite disappointed with their expressiveness.Image I'm talking about masterstealth's ones.
qubodup wrote: pps: yeah, we need more voices people! shall the forum be lovely or contrasty?
I can't really decide.Image

qubo: We can use them even if they wont install them on forum.Image
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

u9_ wrote:Btw, I cannot vote. I think voting is closed? Or maybe i have already voted, but just don't remember.
This vote was not supposed to decide what smiley will be used on the forums, it merely was supposed to decide what smiley set rocks most IYHO

It also is closed.

Here's two tests:
quote="bartbes"
Can't wait to play it :D

Anyway, I was thinking about creating a library myself (as I'm just too lazy to create a game myself :D), however I think I'll wait to see what your code is going to look like (I could already implement a host though).

quote="bartbes"
Can't wait to play it Image

Anyway, I was thinking about creating a library myself (as I'm just too lazy to create a game myself Image), however I think I'll wait to see what your code is going to look like (I could already implement a host though).

quote="nightvenom"
I'm a noob to every thing that is programming, so more or less lament terms are preferred :P

And also, what is a good way to start creating games, more or less a work flow, one that doesn't have me ummm getting confused and clustered :) ?

quote="nightvenom"
I'm a noob to every thing that is programming, so more or less lament terms are preferred Image

And also, what is a good way to start creating games, more or less a work flow, one that doesn't have me ummm getting confused and clustered Image ?

ok
I didn't quote so we have normal bg.

I dislike dominant smilies..

PS: In case someone didn't notice; my post where I used every of the smilies was not intended to state my opinion but just to demonstrate how the smileys look in use
Last edited by qubodup on Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
rude
Administrator

Post by rude »

Very well.

It shall be done. Image

EDIT: It is done. 8-)

EDIT 2: This applies only to new posts, it seems.