Help to create enemies

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Leonardo2450
Prole

Help to create enemies

Post by Leonardo2450 »

I am currently experimenting before starting a project. These days I was thinking about how to create an enemy with a basic artificial intelligence: just follow you. Without a pathfinding system

And I was also thinking of creating several instances of that enemy. The problem is that I don't know how I will do it.

Some help?
Last edited by Leonardo2450 on Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Leonardo2450-
[DATA EXPUNGED] Argentinian looking for something to do in his spare time. :awesome:
pgimeno
Party member

Re: Help to create enemies

Post by pgimeno »

That question is pretty broad. "Follow you" can be as simple as go straight towards you as in Drazzard https://love2d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=80655, or as complex as using a path finding algorithm, which is an advanced topic for which a good understanding of graph theory and recursive functions is required. Could you be more specific?
Leonardo2450
Prole

Post by Leonardo2450 »

pgimeno wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:05 pm That question is pretty broad. "Follow you" can be as simple as go straight towards you as in Drazzard https://love2d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=80655, or as complex as using a path finding algorithm, which is an advanced topic for which a good understanding of graph theory and recursive functions is required. Could you be more specific?
Hi, without a pathfinding system like in Drizzard.
-Leonardo2450-
[DATA EXPUNGED] Argentinian looking for something to do in his spare time. :awesome:
Ref
Party member

Post by Ref »

This might give you some ideas.
Best
Attachments
eatCursor.love
Simple following the cursor
(175.93 KiB) Downloaded 186 times
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

To-go pathfinding algorithm is A* (a-star). It's a little complicated but it works great, you don't need to understand it you just need to implement the code without errors. It works great on square and hexagonal grids, but it can also work on a freeform mesh made up of connected dots (navmesh). If your map doesn't have complicated obstacles, you can simply move the object towards the goal and sidestep if it detects obstacles ahead.
Leonardo2450
Prole

Post by Leonardo2450 »

Ref wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:25 pm This might give you some ideas.
Best
I'm sorry, I'm still new to Lua and I don't quite understand the code of this project. :/

Edit:
Thank you very much, that gave me an idea and I have done it and it worked. As they would say in my country: Sos un capo
-Leonardo2450-