Sliding maze puzzle

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
pgimeno
Party member

Sliding maze puzzle

Post by pgimeno »

Cleaning up my queue of pending releases, now's the turn of this puzzle game. The idea is shamelessly ripped from this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHOmjbH6zdM but without all the bells and whistles, just something very simple :)

It can be played on a desktop or on Android. It uses portland for handling orientation. I haven't tested it in iOS. Mine is slightly more difficult than the one in the video, because it locks the middle and bottom pieces while you're working on the final extraction, due to its longer bottom rail.

If you want to lock the orientation, comment out the portland.updateOrientation(dt) line in love.update.

[UPDATE: INSTRUCTIONS]
There are two big sliding blocks that can only be moved up and down, and six horizontal sliders which can move through the mazes carved in the big blocks. Each pair of horizontal sliders moves as a single piece (think of them as connected from below). The sliders also block the way of the big pieces, restricting their movement. The goal is to take the right piece out by sliding it upwards, above the level of the left piece.

If you have trouble understanding how it works, the video above will surely help.
Attachments
MazePuzzle.love
(4.88 KiB) Downloaded 289 times
Last edited by pgimeno on Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neku
Prole

Re: Sliding maze puzzle

Post by neku »

that's a thing of the devil !
Congratulations.
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

That's a cool little puzzle, took me a few good minutes to solve. Would be nice if it had a little more indication, such as outline box and a slide direction arrow.
randomnovice
Party member

Post by randomnovice »

You ruined my night's sleep last night.

Kudos.
milon
Party member

Post by milon »

I'm going to echo raidho36's sentiments - that's a really nice little puzzle, but the UI is a little unintuitive. I hadn't heard of this puzzle before, and I had to watch a clip of the YouTube video to realize that the background parts could move vertically. Before that I was *highly* stumped, lol. :crazy:

But again, fun puzzle! Thanks for putting this together!
Any code samples/ideas by me should be considered Public Domain (no attribution needed) license unless otherwise stated.
josh_uu
Prole

Post by josh_uu »

i haven't figured out how to play it yet, and i'm already hooked! do you plan on continuing this?
epic epic epic discord: joshuu#6360
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

Thanks for the comments. I've updated the first post with instructions. I may return to it to add some bells and whistles, but not in the next few days.