Habitat Wars [early stages demo]

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
randomnovice
Party member

Habitat Wars [early stages demo]

Post by randomnovice »

Hi folks!

I've been playing around with a card game (a rebrand of a format I've tried before).
It's based on the idea of a war between habitats of creatures with a single player mode (vs A.I.) and a "pass and play" mode.
As you complete a habitat you earn gold and unlock more cards to purchase, each with different abilities.
At the moment there's only one habitat completed but hopefully enough to give it a try and let me know your thoughts?
No music or sound effects yet either, still early stages! :)

Instructions:
1. Choose a deck of cards via the Decks Menu. You'll need to manually add all the cards in until you have a full deck. It's a bit time consuming I know but you only need to do this once!
2. If you're playing against the A.I. I recommend starting with Easy.
3. The aim of the game is to reduce the health of the enemy "hero" to zero. Yes, that's right -- attack the kitten.
4. On your turn, sacrifice a card each turn (for at least 7 or 8 turns) to build up points to spend. Your points are automatically refreshed each turn so spend them by playing cards.
5. You can either play ally cards to combat (which will become active the following turn), play action cards immediately, or use the special abilities of cards.

Shortcuts:
- S+Click = Sacrifice card
- P+Click = Play card
- A+Click = Initiate an attack
- T+Click = Target card
- U+Click = Use special ability
- Enter = End turn

- You can also drag and drop cards.
Attachments
Habitat Wars.love
(3.34 MiB) Downloaded 216 times
Last edited by randomnovice on Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CrimsonGuy
Prole

Re: Habitat Wars [early stages demo]

Post by CrimsonGuy »

Well played a couple of games and liked the concept and seems a lot of work was put into it between all the card effects and animations, im curious about the AI seems pretty decent, did you followed a particular model like state machines, decision trees or just figure it up on the go, currently struggling with AI in my game :|. Also a few points to improve:

- The flavor text of the cards should be on a a different font and below the effect of the card kinda like magic the gathering, by reflex i read the text that is above and since is not relevant for the game kinda annoys me, maybes its just me.

- Maybe icons to signify effects like fear or others instead of text.
randomnovice
Party member

Post by randomnovice »

Thanks for the feedback.

I just figured out the A.I. as I went. It basically works off a combination of decision tree and "score the board" method. If you give it enough time it works out what it thinks is the best way it can finish it's turn (based on it's opinion of the board score) and traces how it got to that point.

Funnily enough the first version of the A.I. was much more systematic- it tried to list every possible decision tree and score each one. That became too slow though (as the variations scaled into millions), so I found it much more convenient to simply test a random available move sequence each iteration. Messy... but effective. Also that way the more loops you give the A.I., the consistently better it gets.
Nobody5050
Prole

Post by Nobody5050 »

Any reason why this cant run on love 10.0/mobile
randomnovice
Party member

Post by randomnovice »

Nobody5050 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:45 pm Any reason why this cant run on love 10.0/mobile
Hi there, not immediately sure.
Do you have any crash report you can send?
Nobody5050
Prole

Post by Nobody5050 »

randomnovice wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:26 pm
Nobody5050 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:45 pm Any reason why this cant run on love 10.0/mobile
Hi there, not immediately sure.
Do you have any crash report you can send?

It simply states that it is not supported and then promptly exits.
randomnovice
Party member

Post by randomnovice »

Update:
* Garden habitat complete
* A.I. bugfixes