Does anyone know how to keep the window above others?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Leonardo2450
Prole

Does anyone know how to keep the window above others?

Post by Leonardo2450 »

I'm using Love2D and currently I need to make my window always the first one to be displayed. Does anyone have any idea how to do it?
-Leonardo2450-
[DATA EXPUNGED] Argentinian looking for something to do in his spare time. :awesome:
raidho36
Party member

Re: Does anyone know how to keep the window above others?

Post by raidho36 »

SDL supports this feature but it's not currently exposed in LOVE.
Leonardo2450
Prole

Post by Leonardo2450 »

raidho36 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:43 am SDL supports this feature but it's not currently exposed in LOVE.
So what should I do?
-Leonardo2450-
[DATA EXPUNGED] Argentinian looking for something to do in his spare time. :awesome:
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

You can't do anything in löve itself, unless you want to compile it yourself after modifying its source. (Edit: I forgot about FFI as the post below this pointed out)
You could also open an issue on bitbucket and try your luck that way, whether the devs think it's an option worthy of adding or not.

One more solution, but only if you're using windows and are only making your project for yourself; nirsoft has an utility called WinLister that can set the topmost mode on any window... note that you can mess your OS up in suprising ways with it (making invisible windows topmost, making it impossible to click on anything anymore, for example) so the tool's not for novices... but apart from that, it is safe; the guy has a good reputation. (Just google nirsoft winlister if the scenario i said previously applies to you.)
Last edited by zorg on Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
NotARaptor
Citizen

Post by NotARaptor »

If you're only targeting Windows, you can use ffi to call the relevant WinApi functions directly - you'd need FindWindow and SetWindowPos:

- Set the title of the window to some unique string (in love)
- Call FindWindow [ffi] with that string to retrieve the HWND of the main window
- Call SetWindowPos [ffi] with HWND_TOPMOST (-1) as second argument and the flags to ignore the other arguments
- Set your window title back to the original one
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

Since SDL has that function, wouldn't it be simpler, and more cross-platform compatible, to call the SDL function via FFI?

Edit: Hm, apparently not, as it seems SDL only allows that at window creation. https://discourse.libsdl.org/t/can-i-ch ... ehow/24030
Leonardo2450
Prole

Post by Leonardo2450 »

NotARaptor wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:05 pm If you're only targeting Windows, you can use ffi to call the relevant WinApi functions directly - you'd need FindWindow and SetWindowPos:

- Set the title of the window to some unique string (in love)
- Call FindWindow [ffi] with that string to retrieve the HWND of the main window
- Call SetWindowPos [ffi] with HWND_TOPMOST (-1) as second argument and the flags to ignore the other arguments
- Set your window title back to the original one
I guess the winApi I have to download or not?
-Leonardo2450-