Creating a physics engine

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
hihgsped
Prole

Creating a physics engine

Post by hihgsped »

Hello,

I'm in the process of creating my own 2d physics engine, but I'm hung up on resolving collisions between objects in my game. Does anyone have any tutorials that explain this process that I could have a link to? I've done a bit of searching but I can't seem to find the right material.

Thanks,
hihgsped
sphyrth
Party member

Re: Creating a physics engine

Post by sphyrth »

Studying Love2D's Physics Library might help you. especially love.graphics.newFixture, and love.graphics.getDistance.
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

Depends on whether your shapes are arbitrary or AABB. If you need arbitrary shapes for your objects, collision resolution is going to be a very hard problem, and I recommend sticking to Box2D; however, you can try the HC collision detection library, but last time I checked, it didn't provide collision response, only detection.

For AABBs, things become simple enough for a DIY. I can't recommend any specific tutorial, but look for sources that use 'Minkowski difference' as that simplifies collision resolution a lot.
PGUp
Party member

Post by PGUp »

love2d already has it's own physics library, love.physics, if you are struggling with collision detection look this up
https://2dengine.com/?p=intersections
-
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

You probably won't be able to do any better than Box2D is already doing, in terms of performance anyway. So if you feel like doing a trigonometry exercise then go ahead, but otherwise you should just learn to use an existing physics engine instead.