Survive... ball?

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Bananicorn
Prole

Survive... ball?

Post by Bananicorn »

So I made this for trying my hand at an isometric game - it *looks* as basic as it gets, but I've learned a lot from it.
I'm not a fan of traditional menus and I wish I could make them this way every time I made a game, but it's probably not applicable everywhere.

Also, I'm aware that there's, like a shitton of room for improvements, and possible stuff to add, but if I keep on going with this 'engine', I'd rather try something with different gameplay :)
Or at least I'd like to know if any traces of fun can be found within ;)

Have fun and tell me your highscore!

https://bananicorn.com/games/survive_ball/about
randomnovice
Party member

Re: Survive... ball?

Post by randomnovice »

Really fun game thanks!

I found it pretty tricky and managed a high score of 15 points after 5-10 minutes of trying :)
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

Cool idea! I'm not a great player it seems, I just got 24 points.

I think the ball needs a bit more thickness to not pass trough walls when going around corners.

I had quite some trouble with the Linux packaging. It's gzipped twice, so the proper extension would be .tar.gz.gz, and the .tar contains the .love file and a maps directory with some big VIM swap files, yet only the .love file is needed. It's already zipped anyway so it should not need any further packaging. The .love file size is 23K bytes and the package is 423K.
Bananicorn
Prole

Post by Bananicorn »

pgimeno wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:39 pm Cool idea! I'm not a great player it seems, I just got 24 points.

I think the ball needs a bit more thickness to not pass trough walls when going around corners.

I had quite some trouble with the Linux packaging. It's gzipped twice, so the proper extension would be .tar.gz.gz, and the .tar contains the .love file and a maps directory with some big VIM swap files, yet only the .love file is needed. It's already zipped anyway so it should not need any further packaging. The .love file size is 23K bytes and the package is 423K.
Oh god you're right!
That also means any other Löve game I've put on my website suffers from the same problem.
(Damn, there's me trying to be Linux-first and I manage to fuck up the linux build, haha)
Brb, changing all my Makefiles - thanks! :)

The player is practically only a point, so yeah I should make his collision work as a sphere instead.
Also, 24 isn't that bad - considering there's some cases where your view is blocked by something and there's a lot of stuff going on^
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

Bananicorn wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:42 pm The player is practically only a point, so yeah I should make his collision work as a sphere instead.
I think an AABB would be good enough. I don't expect a perfect collision, just that the ball doesn't go through walls :)
pericles
Prole

Post by pericles »

Really cool game m8, cheers

Loved the menus, it's like a you are in a practice mode >.<
Bananicorn
Prole

Post by Bananicorn »

pericles wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 8:12 pm Really cool game m8, cheers

Loved the menus, it's like a you are in a practice mode >.<
Aw, thanks! :)
I really need to get back to this sometime, fixing some stuff and maybe have a game mode where you can survive longer than 30 seconds, haha^^
sphyrth
Party member

Post by sphyrth »

I like the concept. The player has already grasped how the game works even before they "play" it... and not having those "Do this" "Do that" Instructions is a big plus for me.

BTW, it made me feel dumb trying to start the game the traditional way, but that's worth it given the nostalgia vibe it gave.
Bananicorn
Prole

Post by Bananicorn »

sphyrth wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:35 pm BTW, it made me feel dumb trying to start the game the traditional way, but that's worth it given the nostalgia vibe it gave.
Now I'm curious, what kind of nostalgia did it give you? What game were you reminded of? :)
sphyrth
Party member

Post by sphyrth »

Bananicorn wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:01 pm Now I'm curious, what kind of nostalgia did it give you? What game were you reminded of? :)
The overall look and feel (artsyle and controls) reminded me of this game... not to mention the frantic nature that's absent in most games today.