Mictro stutter issues

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
MissDanish
Citizen

Mictro stutter issues

Post by MissDanish »

I am having issues with micro stutter in my game, some things I have tried:
-Stopping garbage collection (many threads mentioned issues with it and this does nothing but result in a memory leak essentially, the stutter persists)
-Disabling/enabled vsync (this again does nothing)

specs
Windows 10
AMD Vega 56 (with the 18.10.2 driver)
i5-6500

Anyone got any idea of what it might be?
pgimeno
Party member

Re: Mictro stutter issues

Post by pgimeno »

Is there disk access while it happens?

If you call jit.off() to disable JIT, does it still happen?
MissDanish
Citizen

Post by MissDanish »

pgimeno wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:47 pm Is there disk access while it happens?

If you call jit.off() to disable JIT, does it still happen?
There appears to be no disk access / loading while it happens, I also tried turning JIT off but that seems to have made no difference.
gg
Prole

Post by gg »

Does it stutter all the time or just when certain things happen? What was the last code change you made before this happened?

With the garbage collection on... do you see the memory usage keep going up or is it pretty stable after the game loads?

Can you show code?
MissDanish
Citizen

Post by MissDanish »

gg wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:16 pm Does it stutter all the time or just when certain things happen? What was the last code change you made before this happened?

With the garbage collection on... do you see the memory usage keep going up or is it pretty stable after the game loads?

Can you show code?
1. It stutters every 4-10 secs (it's pretty inconsistent it seems), if it stutters when something is happening I don't know what is happening since there is A LOT that goes on in my game.
2. The memory usage is very stable with garbage collection on, it hovers between 280-320 megabytes
3. My project is rather huge so I don't know how helpful that would be, there's 70+ lua files....
gg
Prole

Post by gg »

Does it happen on any other computer?

You can try to disable/comment out as much of your code as possible and then put it back 1 at a time, slowly, and check if it works better.

Is it malfunctioning any other way? If you don't mind sharing your code then I don't mind looking at it for you... .LÖVE ...is enough!
MissDanish
Citizen

Post by MissDanish »

gg wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:54 pm Does it happen on any other computer?

You can try to disable/comment out as much of your code as possible and then put it back 1 at a time, slowly, and check if it works better.

Is it malfunctioning any other way? If you don't mind sharing your code then I don't mind looking at it for you... .LÖVE ...is enough!
I'd rather not share my code just yet, it's a very large project and sort of commercial. From what I can tell nothing is malfunctioning, no errors, and normal FPS fluctuation. That said I need to test on other computers, I haven't yet.