Writing to files inside game folder

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Le_juiceBOX
Citizen

Writing to files inside game folder

Post by Le_juiceBOX »

I am trying to write to a file inside my game folder but instead it is writing to the

%AppData%/LOVE/GameFolder/save.txt

thanks in advance! :awesome:
SteamLibrary-like Program For Love2D Games:
take me to the forum thread!
raidho36
Party member

Re: Writing to files inside game folder

Post by raidho36 »

Yes that's how it works, love can only write in the save directory.
alloyed
Citizen

Post by alloyed »

here's the sneaky solution: even though love.filesystem only wants to write to the designed save directory, the default lua io functions behave the same way they do in normal lua. this means for example that io.open("file", "w"):write("out\n"):close() will write the the current working directory, and not the save dir. You probably shouldn't ship a game with this but I find it handy for things like in-engine level editors
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

You shouldn't do it mainly because doing so requires elevated privileges, which you wouldn't have on any sane system. That's not to mention, default CWD for a video game is normally some unrelated location, so you'd also be shitting up filesystem for no good reason. Finally, that eliminates the issue of people hard-coding file paths which renders software inoperable on many systems, which is a lot more common error than you would imagine.
JaredFuntime
Prole

Post by JaredFuntime »

I think you should look towards this if you want to write files: https://love2d.org/wiki/love.filesystem