Collision Detection Lib

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Re: Collision Detection Lib

Post by nevon »

zac352 wrote:is much more efficient than doing the exact same thing 640 000 times. I'm not sure why you think that's efficient.. Please explain?
You're inferring that he would suggest using pixel perfect collision between two circles. A pretty inane idea. You'd use pixel perfect collision for highly irregular shapes.

Saying that a hammer sucks just because you can't use it for logging is kind of dumb.
zac352
Party member

Post by zac352 »

nevon wrote:
zac352 wrote:is much more efficient than doing the exact same thing 640 000 times. I'm not sure why you think that's efficient.. Please explain?
You're inferring that he would suggest using pixel perfect collision between two circles. A pretty inane idea. You'd use pixel perfect collision for highly irregular shapes.

Saying that a hammer sucks just because you can't use it for logging is kind of dumb.
Well, highly irregular shapes would work.. But it's a lot of tests. :|
Hello, I am not dead.
ishkabible
Party member

Post by ishkabible »

im still not sure what your talking about, the per pixel collision detection takes the overlapping square of two sprites and checks each pixel for collision. so if there is an overlaping are of say 16x16 then it makes 16^2 checks witch is 256. larger areas will take more checks of course and pixel perfect collision is extremely slow in comparison to the others but you giving it less credit that it deserves.
Simtex
Prole

Post by Simtex »

Is there convex-hull collision detection in this? Would be a good way to get pixel perfect collision detection cheaply for certain shapes.
ishkabible
Party member

Post by ishkabible »

no but i will look into it, im not sure that shape dependent collision detection is really pixel perfect :)
jph
Prole

Post by jph »

"Saying that a hammer sucks just because you can't use it for logging is kind of dumb." - lol ;)

Thanks for these!,. I am just starting with Love, and now that I have a controlable player, I was thinking about having it interact with other objects, should be quite helpfull.
ishkabible
Party member

Post by ishkabible »

if your new to game development then i recommend you look into collision detection for your self, if your just new to love then i hope it helps you!!