How to develop for android?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
sunsflower
Prole

How to develop for android?

Post by sunsflower »

I'd like to make a small game on android. I wonder must I code on pc and then pack a love apk and install this package on android everytime I want to test my game? Is there anything I can do to simplify this process(it is just a little bit irksome..)
nyenye
Citizen

Re: How to develop for android?

Post by nyenye »

You can download the Love launcher for Android from Google Play, and with it you can run .love packages (without needing to create an .apk)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... 2d.android

Hope it helps!
sunsflower
Prole

Post by sunsflower »

er...how exactly can I run this .love package? using a terminal simulator perhaps?
joker
Prole

Post by joker »

The way I do it is by copying the apk to my mobile then using a file manager I open the .love file using the love2d app.
bgordebak
Party member

Post by bgordebak »

Just so you know, some file managers can't open .love files in LÖVE for Android. If that's the case, install another file manager.

And you can totally develop your love file on Anroid using some terminal emulator like termux. I develop, zip, rename and test my game on Android. When I think I'm done, I make the apk on PC.
Positive07
Party member

Post by Positive07 »

I use Dropbox, it let's me send the file from my computer to the phone and then in the phone I can lunch the .love file from there and it lets me use LÖVE
for i, person in ipairs(everybody) do
[tab]if not person.obey then person:setObey(true) end
end
love.system.openURL(github.com/pablomayobre)
sunsflower
Prole

Post by sunsflower »

oh thanks for sharing! I root an old phone and use termux. It is a lot more easier now :awesome:
bgordebak
Party member

Post by bgordebak »

Yeah, termux is great! And it helps if you have an external keyboard, but you can use the Hacker's Keyboard also.
bgordebak
Party member

Post by bgordebak »

sunsflower wrote:oh thanks for sharing! I root an old phone and use termux. It is a lot more easier now :awesome:
And you don't need to root your phone to use termux. Other people might look here too, so I wrote this as a record.
bgordebak
Party member

Post by bgordebak »

By the way, you don't have to zip your game in order to test it on Android. Put your files in /sdcard/lovegame directory (you need to create it), and when you run LÖVE, it will run your game. It's the default directory LÖVE for Android looks.