Otaku-Ball: The Ultimate Arkanoid Game

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Mr.Block
Prole

Otaku-Ball: The Ultimate Arkanoid Game

Post by Mr.Block »

Many Breakout/Arkanoid games have been made in this engine before, but none as complex as this game:

Otaku-Ball is a two-man project with Superjustinbros being the designer/artist and me doing all the coding. We have worked on this game on-and-off for about 3 years and just recently, we have sucessfully implemented all 135 powerups in this game. Therefore, I thought this would be a great time to finally release the game to the public.

This game was inspired by pretty much every Arkanoid game that ever existed. We have borrowed a lot of powerup and brick ideas from games such as: Ricochet Infinity, Alphabounce, Aquanoid... ect.

Initially, Otakuball started out as a C++/SDL game, but I made the decision to port this game to LÖVE halfway into development. And so far it has made my life MUCH easier.

This game features an in-game Level Editor that allows you place bricks on the board from a selection of ~40 brick types. The editor also has a Powerup Weights Editor that allows you to modify the drop chances for each of the 135 powerups as well as the overall drop rate.

Features:
-135 Powerups
-About 40 brick types
-4 types of patches that can be placed over bricks
-Menacer Balls: Enemy balls that hinder you in some way
-40 default levels
-Level Editor
-Powerup Weights Editor
-Playlists that allows for you to play levels in sequence

About the Audio:
Neither of us know how to do audio so Superjustinbros had to rip a bunch of sound files from other Arkanoid games. We are looking for a Sound Artist/Composer to make proper sounds for this game.

THIS GAME IS STILL INCOMPLETE:
There's still a bunch of sound files missing and placeholder sprites to be replaced. Also in the future we're going to add a level progression system with boss battles. If you encounter any bugs, please let us know and we'll fix it eventually.

Libraries used:
-Hardoncollider
-Hump
-Middleclass
-Lovedebug

Download:
You can download the packaged game in the following Dropbox link. The .love file will be provided in an attachment.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/flqfjfwmrj9i ... S8kla?dl=0
Attachments
otakuball(11-14-20).love
(15.41 MiB) Downloaded 440 times
otakuball(1-8-17).love
(7.98 MiB) Downloaded 578 times
Last edited by Mr.Block on Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Superjustinbros
Prole

Re: Otaku-Ball: The Ultimate Arkanoid Game

Post by Superjustinbros »

Glad to see this released! Thanks for all the hard work helping make this a reality.
Nixola
Inner party member

Post by Nixola »

I haven't tried it much, but it looks great! Unfortunately, requiring lovedebug makes LÖVE (0.9 and 0.10) segfault, so I had to comment out line 31 in main.lua in order to have it running.
EDIT: that's probably because you require it before love.load; moving it there makes it work too.
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
Mr.Block
Prole

Post by Mr.Block »

Well, moving require("lovedebug") to love.load seems to also disable lovedebug. That's probably why I moved it outside of love.load. Have you tried playing it on versions 10.1 and 10.2? I also modified lovedebug.lua such that the terminal opens with the tilde(~) key.
Nixola
Inner party member

Post by Nixola »

Actually, just extracting the .love file to a folder did the trick, without having to change anything. Sorry about that.
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
scissors61
Citizen

Post by scissors61 »

I enjoyed a lot playing my first round. The different power ups makes it addictive and entertaining, so I plan to keep on playing it. Great work!
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

Doesn't work on Android (real shame! :3 missed potential) Throws a bunch of errors about nil mouse and game tables and whatnot in the corner and otherwise it's just black screen.
Mr.Block
Prole

Post by Mr.Block »

Well I don't plan on porting this game to Android(or any mobile devices) anytime soon. Are you able to play this game on a computer?
Edit: I think Nixola is in the process of porting this game to Android. I hope he succeeds!
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

Mr. Block: How much audio stuff are we talking about? I'd be up for it if it wouldn't be that many. Feel free to PM. :3
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
Superjustinbros
Prole

Post by Superjustinbros »

zorg wrote:Mr. Block: How much audio stuff are we talking about? I'd be up for it if it wouldn't be that many. Feel free to PM. :3
Pretty much everything in the game that's not in place: Powerup pickup sounds and powerup activation/fire sounds for the most part. You're also welcome to suggest replacement/improvement sounds to what we already have.
Last edited by Superjustinbros on Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.