APE (Another Particle Editor) for LÖVE2D

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
cval
Citizen

Re: APE (Another Particle Editor) for LÖVE2D

Post by cval »

Glad to see this thing gets feedback, thanks! I've updated some code to address some issues stated here.
murks wrote:Thanks, I just tried it. A couple of gui elements seem to be broken, in the wrong place or not reacting but for the most part it works. Some of the math is also broken, some numbers can not be reset to their initial value. No idea what the code button is supposed to do, it does nothing.

Here I tried to do clouds, you can see some of the glitches.
Well, as it is stated in first post, it generates emitter code and copies it into your clipboard. In version below there is ">" button near this button which shows generated code.
Muzz wrote: It's possible to use folders outside of the love file which i do for colour constructor, it requires a little bit of ffi code, but for editors where you want user editable stuff, it' great.
TBH i've never used FFI or alike (kinda complicated for me :nyu: ), but once i'll get the hang of it, i will try to implement it, thanks!
murks wrote:Oh, maybe also a feature request:

- Add the possibility to enter numbers. Pushing the buttons until you get what you want is OK, but if you know what you want, just entering the number is a lot easier.

- In the 'Sizes' section I would prefer to edit the sizes directly rather than use the button next to 'Size'.
I actually have textfield element in my "library" but it is currently used in other project and for me it still works really and really glitchy and needs alot of polishing. And if we are talking about adding similar functionality to spin, it requires context-catching trickery and alot of debugging, but i get your idea and going to try to make it later. Also if you press left Shift, left Ctrl or left Alt (x10,/10,x100 accordingly usually, varies), you will increase or decrease step value to get desired one faster.
In latest version "sizes" section now has separate spin for every size in range. And also if size displays value which is too big for it, it will instead display "..." but once you hover over it, it will change its size and display full value. Dunno if its right desicion tho, but i'm trying to refrain from overlapping components and throwing controls all over the interface for now.

I hope i didnt miss alot this time!
Last edited by cval on Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
murks
Party member

Post by murks »

Thanks a lot cval, I just gave it a brief spin and it works a lot better.

I also managed to break it though, not quite sure how.
Attachments
ape_spin_error.png
ape_spin_error.png (11.12 KiB) Viewed 9502 times
ape_spin.png
ape_spin.png (201.52 KiB) Viewed 9502 times
cval
Citizen

Post by cval »

Thanks, fixed that. getImage() no longer a method in particle system, now it should work when you use quads.
Attachments
ape.love
(94.13 KiB) Downloaded 379 times
francismoy
Prole

Post by francismoy »

Thanks. Very useful software. I may use it for my current project :)
SiENcE
Party member

Post by SiENcE »

hey cval,

i send you a push request.

I added saving and loading of particles. It was hard work also update all gui elements.
If would be nicer if elements had an input function where they update themself.

The saved particle files are human readable.

Usage:
* SAVE button added
* press Refresh button of File Manager to reload list (only done at start automatically!)
* select via left mouse-click an particlefile
* load via right mouse-click an particlefile

have fun
SiENcE
Attachments
ape_v2.love
added loading/saveing of particles
(101.65 KiB) Downloaded 353 times
murks
Party member

Post by murks »

Hi SiENcE,
after clicking save, no file is created. What could be wrong?
SiENcE
Party member

Post by SiENcE »

Oh, i think i forgot to create the save folder.

Code is here: https://github.com/SiENcE/APE

Here is a bugfixed version.
Attachments
ape_v3.love
(102.1 KiB) Downloaded 428 times
SiENcE
Party member

Post by SiENcE »

If you wanna see this tool in action, head over to our blog: http://blog.aeonofsands.com/2016/04/mon ... april.html
cval
Citizen

Post by cval »

Oh wow, i'm thrilled with that testing gif and the fact that tool is actually is used in someone's project. Great stuff! Although i'm not really fan of games of this kind of genre (just because i've never actually played them before), the apparent amount of work that is put into upcoming project of yours is astounding.
SiENcE
Party member

Post by SiENcE »

cval wrote:the apparent amount of work that is put into upcoming project of yours is astounding.
Thanks for your kind words!