Sending notifications through iOS?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
HugoBDesigner
Party member

Sending notifications through iOS?

Post by HugoBDesigner »

Hey, it's me again, with another iOS request (sorry about that). My boss asked me to implement a system into our app that notifies users of any updates in the server that the app is connected to, but I have no idea how to do that. Not to mention, I would need the app to run in the background constantly while checking for updates in the server (and then send a notification when that happens). Has anyone dealt with this before? Any idea on how I can proceed or where I can read about it? Thanks!
@HugoBDesigner - Twitter
HugoBDesigner - Blog
bobbyjones
Party member

Re: Sending notifications through iOS?

Post by bobbyjones »

I think you would have to write native code for this to be done. I would just look at the existing iOS code and see how it is wrapped and etc. Then from there you could hack in notifications(and ads and etc). Also I'm unsure but maybe the app already runs in the background. You could test that by seeing if it responds to a server. (I.e make the app echo and have the server send it random messaged). I'm sure slime would be able to point you in a more specific direction.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

I don't know how they do it, but facebook already "sends notifications" when run from chrome on osx. Probably chrome asked me to allow notifications and I said yes.

I must say that I would hate an app to pop up a notification just to let me know that an update is available. These kind of things are supposed to be for "important things for me" - think "your house is on fire"-level. If all the apps I have notified me every time they had an update I would get crazy. I would certainly uninstall your app if it did use notifications for this (or if it didn't have an option to control it, or if the option was set to "show notifications" by default).
When I write def I mean function.
HugoBDesigner
Party member

Post by HugoBDesigner »

Thanks bobby and kikito, that was really helpful!

Unfortunately, though, I was requested to ask yet another question in regards to iOS and LÖVE: how can I implement AdMob into the iOS build of LÖVE? Thanks in advance!
@HugoBDesigner - Twitter
HugoBDesigner - Blog
bobbyjones
Party member

Post by bobbyjones »

HugoBDesigner wrote:Thanks bobby and kikito, that was really helpful!

Unfortunately, though, I was requested to ask yet another question in regards to iOS and LÖVE: how can I implement AdMob into the iOS build of LÖVE? Thanks in advance!
I suspect it is a similar process to how it's done on Android. Just done in iOS native code instead of Java.
unek
Citizen

Post by unek »

HugoBDesigner wrote:I would need the app to run in the background constantly while checking for updates in the server
what you're looking for are push notifications. they don't need the app running in the background but iirc you need an app store dev license.
DRAW DRAW - online painting app CLICK NUMBERS - cool game with numbers THEME LOVEFRAMES - a collection of my themes HOST FOR FREE - free hosting for online LOVE games STALK PEOPLE - a map of LOVE users