gradients

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
sgifan
Prole

gradients

Post by sgifan »

Hello all,

just discovered Love (the software, not the other thing) and I start to look at the features.

What i miss for now is a way for using gradients to fill polygons.

beside creating an image that suits my need with an external tools is there a solution ?

Best regards
kikito
Inner party member

Re: gradients

Post by kikito »

There is no easy way to do that. Doing them in photoshop / gimp / watever and importing them as an image is the quickest way.
When I write def I mean function.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

In theory you could create them at runtime using imagedata.
sgifan
Prole

Post by sgifan »

I suppose for gradients using the shader (GLSL) branch of LOVE would be also an option, but seem quite complicated.

Maybe planning integrating something like the antigrain library AGG (2.4 is BSD licensed) would be an option also

this would also provide first class vector primitives.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks for answering
pekka
Party member

Post by pekka »

You can use OpenGL facilities for gradients if you use an external OpenGL library. Such a library makes your game less portable and also, for some reason, bothers the holy heck out of some people here. So don't tell them if you use one for your own purposes. :)

The proper thing to do would probably start an issue about gradients and various ways to implement them on the issue tracker. Then you might get the facility for Löve 0.8 if the devs feel like it. It'd be official that way.