Hey Guys, I'm new here.

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
TehRoot
Prole

Hey Guys, I'm new here.

Post by TehRoot »

Hey all, just wanted to say high and introduce myself and get some pointers in the right direction. I have some programming experience, mainly in java and C++, with some python. I have never played with Lua but I have heard of it. I would like to get right to working on a game, but I have no real clue on what of anything I should start with. I'd really appreciate the help guys.

Cheers! :awesome:
Robin
The Omniscient

Re: Hey Guys, I'm new here.

Post by Robin »

Hello and welcome!

The Wiki has lots of information you'd want to read (and the documentation is of course rather useful), and if you have a more specific question, the forum is always open to that sort of thing. ;)

If you want to get started with making games, I'd suggest reading some tutorials and start from simple nonsense games (of which you can find huge amounts on the forums).

Also, Programming in Lua is warmly recommended to get familiar with Lua.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Post by nevon »

Don't forget to mention #love on irc.freenode.net! We're a (somewhat overly) friendly bunch and can often help if you get stuck on some problem.
Taehl
Dreaming in associative arrays

Post by Taehl »

Don't worry, Lua is a wonderful language. If you can code in C++ and Java, you'll have no problem figuring it out. One thing you may need to keep in mind is that Lua, by default, is more procedural than object-oriented. But if you prefer OOP, you can do like many others and use Lua's powerful metatable functionality to turn it into an object-oriented language.
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
TehRoot
Prole

Post by TehRoot »

I appreciate the replies guys, I'll be sure to drop by the IRC to say hello. I started working on tutorials for some basic games, Lua is interesting, a bit like python in terms of it's relatively lax programming style, which I like over the other OO langs.
zac352
Party member

Post by zac352 »

I'm kind of new too. Still getting used to the vibe. ;)
Hello, I am not dead.