Inexperienced Knights [Update #8]

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Clean3d
Prole

Re: Inexperienced Knights [Update #7]

Post by Clean3d »

Hello all!
Just dropping by to offer another update. I am not dead. The game is coming along well. As usual, everything has taken longer than I thought, but for various reasons the rate of progress has jumped in the last few weeks and I have all the basic level graphics done! The player can get new weapons, levels can be completed, most everything has been polished, I've made some music tracks that are acceptable... It is good.

Anyway, here's a screenshot of the second level graphics. I'm not using the img tags for anyone who cares about even small spoilers, but honestly there's not much being spoiled.
http://clean3d.com/projects/Inexperienc ... -11-30.png

Thanks for all the support so far. This project is in the home stretch!
Clean3d's Twitter, Game, and Blog
Jeeper
Party member

Post by Jeeper »

Clean3d wrote:Hello all!
Just dropping by to offer another update. I am not dead. The game is coming along well. As usual, everything has taken longer than I thought, but for various reasons the rate of progress has jumped in the last few weeks and I have all the basic level graphics done! The player can get new weapons, levels can be completed, most everything has been polished, I've made some music tracks that are acceptable... It is good.

Anyway, here's a screenshot of the second level graphics. I'm not using the img tags for anyone who cares about even small spoilers, but honestly there's not much being spoiled.
http://clean3d.com/projects/Inexperienc ... -11-30.png

Thanks for all the support so far. This project is in the home stretch!
Looks great, keep it up! :)
Clean3d
Prole

Post by Clean3d »

Stuff ALWAYS takes longer than you expect, doesn't it?

Hello everyone. I'm happy to say that, sans boss battle, the first level is playable! I'm hesitant to say "finished", but I'm getting really eager to finish this project. I've learned a lot about development, and I think I'm being held back by some legacy problems at this point - things that I can't really change for this project, but that I know not to do again next time.

Another screenshot, because they're fun. :)
http://clean3d.com/projects/Inexperienc ... -23-59.png

What I realized this evening is that, beyond just being able to say this is good enough for a beta, I've come to a point where I need feedback in order to continue. There's stuff in the game that I'm okay with leaving "rough", but I need to know whether it's going to bother people going forward (prediction: it will). Without getting some feedback on other things, I won't know whether they work or whether the game is fun. Speaking of which...

It's sort of a minor thing, but I'm actually beginning to have fun playing this. Okay, that's really a MAJOR thing, but for a game that is essentially a clone and not very original, I'm happy that I've gotten to the point where I'm not just adding features X, Y, and Z because they were on a list - I'm reacting to how things feel and play as I'm testing. It's a good feeling.

So, I've got to finally get the company up and running in order to run the beta. That will be happening in coming weeks, and then hopefully I will be reporting back with exciting things like the announcement of a mailing list and beta signup!

Thanks for reading!
TheOddByte
Prole

Re: Inexperienced Knights [Update #8]

Post by TheOddByte »

I gotta say, by just looking at the screenshots you've supplied us with I can see this is going to be great! :D
When can we expect to have a download link? I really want to try it out :3
What's the object-oriented way to get wealthy? Inheritance.
yhsper
Prole

Post by yhsper »

Hi!

This game is REALLY pretty! Kudos on the pixel art, is definitely lovely. Also: I just love coop games!

I haven't been able to play any previous version, and I'm curious: are the level maps randomly generated ?
Clean3d
Prole

Post by Clean3d »

Thanks for the replies, everyone! I'm really grateful that after all this time, people are still being positive about this project.

TheOddByte: So, I've been saying beta out of habit. This will actually be an alpha, if I understand the qualifications correctly. I would like to launch it later this month.

yhsper: Rooms/maps are static. It was my original intention to have a random maze of premade rooms, but that got cut as I realized the amount of work needed to finish the game. : /
Jeeper
Party member

Post by Jeeper »

Clean3d wrote:Thanks for the replies, everyone! I'm really grateful that after all this time, people are still being positive about this project.

TheOddByte: So, I've been saying beta out of habit. This will actually be an alpha, if I understand the qualifications correctly. I would like to launch it later this month.

yhsper: Rooms/maps are static. It was my original intention to have a random maze of premade rooms, but that got cut as I realized the amount of work needed to finish the game. : /
I think (It is like that for me at least) that is it because of the fact that you have been at it for such a long time that makes it more exciting. Good games take time to make :)
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

löve the demo! (you should update first post).

Video:

Only the jump sound is too loud.
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)