Need help for love setup on mac os

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
nicklowkc
Prole

Need help for love setup on mac os

Post by nicklowkc »

hey guys, I have followed the tutorial on this pagevhttp://www.love2d.org/wiki/Getting_Started , but I can't open my sample hello world even though i save it as main.lua. It just came out a character saying no game. It seriously driving me crazy..
Jasoco
Inner party member

Re: Need help for love setup on mac os

Post by Jasoco »

Post the steps you are following so we can make sure you are doing it correctly.
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

There are several methods on that page (I think I actually added one of them a long time ago, time flies huh?). Which method are you using? :)
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
nicklowkc
Prole

Post by nicklowkc »

I followed all the steps that wrote and I did open my bash.profile and input the code into it.. But I cant understand the word "assuming it's installed to the Applications directory" because its not dmg file.
So, I create a folder and place the love and main.lua file inside the folder. Then I opened the application it just turned out the same result which is a little man stand at the center saying no game.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Installed just means drag the love.app file into /Applications as that's where the BASH thing assumes you'll put it. Otherwise change the BASH string to match where you keep your love.app.

Also note you don't have to do that part. You can run a properly designed .love or even a plain folder as long as it has a proper main.lua file in its root by simply dragging the folder/.love onto the .app. Or create a proper .love by using OS X's Archive feature to compress the contents of the folder and rename the .zip to .love and you can just double-click.

I use a different method that would probably be more confusing than the BASH method personally. But it makes it so much easier to just run and test my project. (It also requires Terminal)
nicklowkc
Prole

Post by nicklowkc »

I still can't get it :3
Can you post a url video link or can you tell me the steps to do it???
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

The most desirable way to set this up is to have a binding in your text editor that you can simply press to run the game (or at least attempt to, hehe). Which text editor do you use? We could help you get set-up so that you have a really easy time instead of dragging folders or typing into Terminal.
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.