Metanet Hunter SE (Uploaded for GBJAM!)

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
NightKawata
Party member

Metanet Hunter SE (Uploaded for GBJAM!)

Post by NightKawata »

...Wow! After some solid development time, I've finally finished this up!
I call it: Metanet Hunter SE! (SE stands for Special Edition)

This game's got some quirky charm, unique level design that'll make you laugh and cry, and much more!
Plus... It's free! Yes, free! So what are you waiting for? Go play it!

Click here for awesomeness!
"I view Python for game usage about the same as going fishing with a stick of dynamite. It will do the job but it's big, noisy, you'll probably get soaking wet and you've still got to get the damn fish out of the water." -taylor
Ragzouken
Citizen

Re: Metanet Hunter SE (Uploaded for GBJAM!)

Post by Ragzouken »

really cute

started finding it challenging around level 6 and i got really frustrated on level seven

some thoughts:
it's not obvious that you need to hold down jump on the jump pads; i was trying to press jump as the right time - perhaps you could have some small amount of time after leaving the jump pad in which pressing jump will give you the full jump amount?
a lot of the time the fact that i can kill enemies feels irrelevant - maybe more of them could be just plain invincible, or maybe the early levels could be more challenging
i feel like the invulnerability after being hit could be a bit more forgiving; quite a few times i found myself getting hit twice or killed by the same stationary enemy
the health bar could be more obvious - more contrast or larger or something

really like this though!
NightKawata
Party member

Post by NightKawata »

Now available on itch.io!
"I view Python for game usage about the same as going fishing with a stick of dynamite. It will do the job but it's big, noisy, you'll probably get soaking wet and you've still got to get the damn fish out of the water." -taylor
mongrol
Prole

Post by mongrol »

Nice. What's the license on this? If you'd be kind enough to license it FOSS I'd be happy to package it up for inclusion in the Debian Archive. I'm currently collecting Love games for the Debian Games Team. (this also ends up in Debian derivatives like Ubuntu)
NightKawata
Party member

Post by NightKawata »

mongrol wrote:Nice. What's the license on this? If you'd be kind enough to license it FOSS I'd be happy to package it up for inclusion in the Debian Archive. I'm currently collecting Love games for the Debian Games Team. (this also ends up in Debian derivatives like Ubuntu)
Actually, I never particularly thought about a license for this game.
I'd rather not open-source the assets in particular (nor am I authorized to do so as the music isn't mine, it's by the musician of my devteam), but I'd have no problem open-sourcing the code!

With that being said... Yeah we've got a bit of a strange one here.
mongrol
Prole

Post by mongrol »

That'll be a no goer then. To enter the main archive the assets need to be under a free license as well, generally CC-BY-3.0 or greater. There are some cases of games splitting assets into the non-free portion of the archive but very difficult to find a developer who'll upload and support it.

I recommend licensing your code properly when distributing. In most countries no license means copyright is reserved so noone could use it, or portions of it.