Oysi's 3D Rendering & Physics Engine

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Re: Oysi's 3D Rendering & Physics Engine

Post by Jasoco »

I'm so jealous I almost want to abandon my project. Especially after my most recent problem.

How do you do these wonderful things?
substitute541
Party member

Post by substitute541 »

The graphics are becoming more and more like ROBLOX (save for that awesome light beams.) Incidentally, ROBLOX uses Lua for scripting so yeah.

And it looks more of a "sky plane" than a skybox. But anyways, still awesome as usual :D
Currently designing themes for WordPress.

Sometimes lurks around the forum.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Can your physics handle other shaped polygons? All you have shown so far is cubes. Create some random shaped polygonal thingies. (Technical term)
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

This is really impressive! The most impressive 3D implementation in LÖVE I've seen, probably.

You should use anisotropic filtering (via Image:setFilter), especially for the floor. :)
Oysi
Prole

Post by Oysi »

Nautical Mile wrote:Oysi, this work is incredible! I love the screens you have been posting.

Are you planning to make a game at some point, or are you just focused on the rendering and physics code?
Thank you! =D And you're right about my focus. I personally think it's a lot more fun to do these kinds of things. I've never really been all to keen on making games. I've mostly just made fancy tech demos where no one understand why they work, haha. It's just more fun to make.
ArchAngel075 wrote:anyhow, im starting to develop a strong inferiority complex everytime i see oysi post new screenies ... is that normal? :o

-edit

wow, looking closer... 300 bodies and a FPS good enough for console games...
Well, my reputation is essentially "hax man," "math guy," "creator of madness," "best scripter," "god," etc... Not my words, but the words of thousands of others. I believe those first three are just, though. But I'm not the best scripter, and I know I'm only a demi god, not a complete god. =P
As for performance, do note that this is with just 1 physics iteration per frame, which means if you try to stack them any higher than 3, they will just fall apart, and even at 3 (or 2), they will jitter until they do. Plus in that pic the bodies are far enough away from each other that they don't perform collision checks on each other (at least not most of them). But it does make for a decent pool of objects to move around, and it works very nicely with gravity off, because that means there won't be too many collisions, and they won't stack anyway. I have some videos coming that feature more rigid bodies.
Jasoco wrote:How do you do these wonderful things?
Thank you, and I just apply some hax here and there and it sort of works. xD
substitute541 wrote:The graphics are becoming more and more like ROBLOX (save for that awesome light beams.) Incidentally, ROBLOX uses Lua for scripting so yeah.

And it looks more of a "sky plane" than a skybox. But anyways, still awesome as usual :D
Incidentally, I have been a regular on and off on roblox since 2008. I don't really play the game so much, though. I have made a whole lot of stuff myself, on the other hand. But I mostly just stroll the forums and help people and discuss stuff. =) (Although I don't think it looks that much like roblox, only similarity is really the fact that there are cubes. Different textures, different lighting, different skybox, etc)
As for sky plane, I'm not sure what you mean, but it is most certainly a skybox. The screenshots could be showing it a bit poorly, though. Interestingly, I thought I had to do more than just put textures on the side, but apparently that was that. xD Once I aligned them correctly and used the correct textures (left for left, etc), it became seamless and the 3D effect appeared.
Jasoco wrote:Can your physics handle other shaped polygons? All you have shown so far is cubes. Create some random shaped polygonal thingies. (Technical term)
I have added tetrahedrons to the thing, but I'm still not clear on how to do separating axis theorem on any convex polyhedra. I've found several sources, but I'm not sure if they just don't explain it or if I just don't understand. Either way, I did make some collision detection for them, so it does work. I will put up a video later, showing 50 cubes and 50 tetrahedrons all colliding together. =)
On that note, with the current collision detection I've made (if I disregard the SAT), I can do collisions on ANY convex and concave polygon. So I could actually just pop in a mesh into the thing and it will actually collide properly. But that will most likely lag as well. xD
slime wrote:This is really impressive! The most impressive 3D implementation in LÖVE I've seen, probably.

You should use anisotropic filtering (via Image:setFilter), especially for the floor. :)
Thank you! However, I don't think the setfilter will do anything, because the way I am rendering these textures is through a shader which looks up the image and maps it to the polygon by returning a color. I would have to do the filtering myself in the shader. And it is something I've been wanting to do (it was one of the first things I noticed when I added textures), I've just not completely gotten around to it.
Last edited by Oysi on Thu May 29, 2014 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow the potato. Achieve enlightenment.
Oysi
Prole

Post by Oysi »

Multiple rigid bodies! =P

Oysi
Prole

Post by Oysi »

I have some plans on volumetric clouds, as well as trying out point lights, with shadows, and having several of 'em. =)

But for now...

Many rigid bodies!

HugoBDesigner
Party member

Post by HugoBDesigner »

That's REALLY, REALLY awesome, Oysi! I want it released more than ever :awesome:

Also, I've browsed through your YouTube channel, and you have ridiculously AWESOME videos! I could stay here the whole day talking about them, but I think I'll just drop a small example here, so people know how awesome you are:

@HugoBDesigner - Twitter
HugoBDesigner - Blog
badfitz66
Prole

Post by badfitz66 »

I would love to see any sort of water simulation from you Oysi, may it be 2d or 3d, I have yet to see anything to do with water physics in love2d.
What a wonderful caricature of intimacy
Oysi
Prole

Post by Oysi »

Ah yes, I have made quite a few fancy stuff. =D And thanks, Hugo, that means a lot to me. =)

Interestingly, though, my most popular videos are my Lighting Engine and Pathfinding, both of which happen to be 2D. xD Maybe I should start using this framework the way it's meant to be used. xD

@badfitz
Yes, water would be cool to do. Although I'm not entirely sure on how I should go about that, as there are so many ways of doing it. But I will of course try. But I do have some other plans before I do that, namely volumetric clouds.