[LD29] PORTHOLE

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Ragzouken
Citizen

[LD29] PORTHOLE

Post by Ragzouken »

http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-da ... &uid=13822

PORTHOLE

FOLLOW THE COMPASS
SEEK THE DEPTHS

TURN AND MOVE WITH
THE ARROW KEYS

PRESS THE BUTTONS TO
DOCUMENT YOUR VOYAGE

PROGRAMMING AND AUDIO
BY MARK WONNACOTT

GRAPHICS
BY CLAIRE MORLEY
zorfmorf
Prole

Re: [LD29] PORTHOLE

Post by zorfmorf »

Wow, I don't know what to write. Of all the entries I played so far this one impacted me the most. While it's not really "fun" to play it's kind of meditative and real different to all of the other entries I tested so far. After I've looked into your sources (sorry) I realized how much work you put in there. I had travelled for quite some time and was pretty sure that I had seen everything. However, after I took a look into your sources I realized, that I had missed half of the creatures and only seen one "planet" (at least that's what you call it - I thought the game played under water) I first wanted to recommend to increase the spawning rate for things, but I'm actually not sure if that would be a good idea.

Sorry for rambling I just find it very difficult to explain what I like about this.

Some minor things:
- Does the wheel really do anything? It feels like the encounter rate stays roughly the same no matter in which direction I move or if I don't move at all.
- I think the game would work better in a larger resolution or full screen mode. Looked really small on my 23inch display.
Ragzouken
Citizen

Post by Ragzouken »

thanks for the feedback and kind words :)

to see the other surfaces you'll need to follow the notch on the rotating ring - line it up to the top and it leads towards new areas! glad you managed to enjoy the game despite that though :D

wasn't sure about the resolution since either we have to zoom the surface in and increase resolution, or just have it very obvious where the textures tile - don't think we could win on that. it's also supposed to be somewhat of a claustrophobic effect, like a real porthole, so that was the justification for just leaving it

i don't mind people looking at the source btw, just couldn't be bothered to upload it separately :p
zorfmorf
Prole

Post by zorfmorf »

So THAT'S what you mean with "follow the compass". And now the whole manouvering makes a lot more sense! I guess I'm a little bit daft.
Ragzouken wrote:i don't mind people looking at the source btw, just couldn't be bothered to upload it separately :p
It just kind of felt like cheating looking at everything considering that the game is about exploration and discovery
Ragzouken
Citizen

Post by Ragzouken »

haha yeah i do wonder how many people have played and not realised there's more creatures and backgrounds... beneath the surface