Portuguese Wiki terminology - PORTUGUESE SPEAKERS UNITE!

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
BozoDel
Party member

Portuguese Wiki terminology - PORTUGUESE SPEAKERS UNITE!

Post by BozoDel »

Hey there, people!

I've been working on a project to improve the way wiki translations are handled. I had gotten to a point where I was almost ready to show it to you, and had already translated all functions related to love.audio, Data, Decoder, SoundData, Source, File, and a few others. But then I wasn't satisfied with the results.

The first issue is that I wasn't satisfied with the terminology. Just take a look at File. Some times I translated "File" as "arquivo", sometimes as "File", and sometimes I called it "um objeto File". That's because, in English, "File" has two meanings. The first is is the generic computing concept of a file, which we would translate as "arquivo", or possibly "ficheiro" in European Portuguese. The other meaning is a very specific Lua/LÖVE type, File, with an uppercase F. We couldn't translate that, because every single File function has "File" in its name (I'll get back to that). That's also why the person who previously translated lots of the wiki usually translated "Source" as "fonte (Source)" (I decided to keep calling it "Source", but again, I'm not satisfied with that).

The other issue is that the lists and parameters looked ugly. Like, you're browsing the wiki in Portuguese, so you know it's in Portuguese, but every link tells you that hey it's in Portuguese! And if a parameter type is number, the link says "number (Português)" instead of "número". But it was possible to change the display name of links in some cases, so it's either all-ugly or not-that-ugly-but-inconsistent. Well, that problem is in the past now, cause I fixed it yesterday.

And now it is possible to fix the first issue. Nothing stops us from translating "File" as "Arquivo" and "Source" as "Fonte" and preserving its double meaning. But I figured, this is a big enough deal, and I should ask the community about it. So here's what I propose:

* modules and functions will preserve their names, they have to
* types (objects), and enums should be translated, except when an English term is commonly used in Portuguese
* Lua types, the same as the above... but not sure, I need to see how it was done in the Reference Manual
* for functions operating on objects, the ones with a colon (:), the object part is translated, the function part is not

Just a reminder: the actual page name will NOT be changed, just the display name.

Also, if you are wondering what the fuss is all about, basically I'm using Okapi Rainbow to extract the terms from the wiki (and merge them back later) and OmegaT to translate them. That way, translators won't have to touch the wiki markup, neither retranslate anything, not even headers - the translation is done once, and then OmegaT replaces all other ocurrences automatically.

(Just re-read the whole post, and, well, I guess it doesn't apply to Portuguese after all. But I'll keep this post as a Portuguese terminology discussion one)
BozoDel
Party member

Re: Portuguese Wiki terminology - PORTUGUESE SPEAKERS UNITE!

Post by BozoDel »

Hey there! Took me a while, but I have something to show. Look at [wiki]love.audio (Português)[/wiki] and [wiki]love.audio.newSource (Português)[/wiki], pay special attention to the links. The changes in the templates allowed for a much more consistent treatment of terminology. As consistent as possible, I dare say.

Besides that, I think I'm finally satisfied with the filters and the workflow, so I'll be publishing them soon.

Just to give you an idea, I translated love.audio and all its functions. It was divided into 440 segments, of which only 165 were unique. So 275 pieces of that part of the wiki were just repetition that translators would normally have to retranslate over and over again... but not anymore!

(sorry again for screwing the wiki in the process, slime, and for being bitchy)
HugoBDesigner
Party member

Post by HugoBDesigner »

Some time ago I translated [wiki]Channel_(Português)[/wiki], mostly for test. I was trying to see how to add more functions to the "Functions" segment. But if you need any help with Brazilian Portuguese translations, count me in ;)
@HugoBDesigner - Twitter
HugoBDesigner - Blog
BozoDel
Party member

Post by BozoDel »

HugoBDesigner wrote:Some time ago I translated [wiki]Channel_(Português)[/wiki], mostly for test. I was trying to see how to add more functions to the "Functions" segment. But if you need any help with Brazilian Portuguese translations, count me in ;)
Okay, I'll PM you when I get it all mapped out! The wiki doesn't differentiate between PT-BR and PT-PT though, and that's probably a wise choice, saving resources.