Tutoring?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
sardaukar
Prole

Tutoring?

Post by sardaukar »

Hello!

I'd like to get better at Love. I'm a somewhat skilled Ruby dev (mostly web stuff) and I'd like to get a boost starting with Lua and Love2D, of course. Is anyone up for 1-on-1 tutoring sessions? We can even discuss payment.

Let me know! Cheers
nuno
Party member

Re: Tutoring?

Post by nuno »

Depends on what level you're on and what kind of things you want to learn.

Out of curiosity: why not tutorials?
Ragzouken
Citizen

Post by Ragzouken »

There are a lot of tutorials out there, definitely check them out - you can ask for help in the #love IRC channel on OFTC. There's only so much they can provide though, and often they don't really provide a very holistic or complete look at using love (I guess some of that is down to how much personal preference dictates best practice in lua?). I could potentially provide some 1-on-1 tutoring based around my own experience of using love2d - email me at ragzouken [at] gmail [dot] com or tweet @ragzouken if you're interested (I don't check the forums frequently enough).
Jeeper
Party member

Post by Jeeper »

I can for sure help you out!

I send you a PM containing my skype info.
vynom
Prole

Post by vynom »

I think having a tutor or mentor when learning a language is much better than going from tutorials on the internet. When you learn from tutorials, you learn how to code like someone else. Everyone has their own coding style especially when it comes to Lua, so you may also pick up other peoples bad habits. A lot of the tutorials are also fairly simple, youtube is full of 3-4 video casters that just show you install, setup, or very basic functions(for LOVE). The advanced tutorials again focus on their style of coding. Take munkeebacons tutorials, well good for an introduction, a lot of functionality is underutilized.

Back when I first started coding, I wanted to learn how to mod php-fusion, and a close friend of mine is/was a moderator and developer. So I would try to make something, it wouldnt work or would break other things, and him mentoring me and helping me(not just fixing it) helped me understand how things worked, instead of just how to hack it into working. Jump ahead 8 years, and while learning Python, I tried using the tutorials I found, which again were mostly basic, and the learning process was much more difficult. Lua I learned from the manual after seeing PIL suggested here time and time again, and was much easier than how-to videos(Ive yet to fully grasp metamethods and metatables, but it takes time).

Everyone has a learning style, the good thing about LOVE, is the community is awesome, and when you can't do something or don't know quite how, you get different opinions that you can chose to follow or not; you just have to ask. :3

EDIT>> IRC is another great real-time helper, lots of helpful folks just idling around, poke them and theyll help out too(eventually lol).
sardaukar
Prole

Post by sardaukar »

nuno wrote:Depends on what level you're on and what kind of things you want to learn.

Out of curiosity: why not tutorials?
I'm just trying a new way of learning! Curious about how tutoring for something like Löve2D can work out :)