PA Game (Lua project preview)

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Taehl
Dreaming in associative arrays

PA Game (Lua project preview)

Post by Taehl »

This is the latest thing I've been working on. It runs in pure Lua, not Love2D (porting it and adding graphics is a future goal). So let go of your mouse and prepare to play a randomly-generated post-apocalyptic multiple-choice survival Rogue-like inspired by 'The Road'. Each game is different - you may start with 1-3 random party members, the map is random, and loot is random too. The game automatically saves upon quit. After you die, your game is saved to the High Score list, which can be viewed with "history.lua", allowing you to revisit old games.

Download PA Game beta and run "game.lua". If using something other than Windows, you may want to run the game with the "-nocolor" param, to prevent some annoying error messages from popping up. Try "history.lua" to after you've played a game or two.

Hint: When it asks for your name, it's means your player name, not what you want to name your characters.
Hint 2: Type "help" for a quick list of commands, or "fullhelp" for more detailed instructions.
Hint 3: Avoid capital-"R" Raiders, they'll kill and/or wound you.
Hint 4: Keep moving! Each building ("b", "g", "a", and "h" so far) may have supplies, which are all automatically scavenged when you enter the building. Don't explore, and you'll run out of supplies and slowly die.
Hint 5: Each inventory item is used automatically when needed, so don't worry about manually having to eat food, etc..
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
Taehl

Re: PA Game (Lua project preview)

Post by Taehl »

So no comments of feedback? Suggestions for more content? High scores or stories to share?
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
Hexenhammer
Party member

Post by Hexenhammer »

As you said yourself, it is a pure Lua project (so far), not a LÖVE one. People here are probably only interested in graphical LÖVE games. I remember starting text-based too, back then I was a teenager and knew very little about programming. It is a good way to start, but do not expect many people being interested in the results these days.
Taehl

Post by Taehl »

That's why this is the prototype. I have a lot of experimental stuff (highways being at the top of that list) going on here which I want to firmly nail down before attempting to put graphics to it. I also need to see if the multiple-choice gameplay format is viable.