distort?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
hertzcastle
Party member

distort?

Post by hertzcastle »

hi!
so, love loads images into opengl quads, right? so, what if we could manipulate the corners and distort the image? or have say, 4 x 4 quads and manipulate them with a table of coords?
thoughts?
x
Jasoco
Inner party member

Re: distort?

Post by Jasoco »

Image manipulation and distortion would be really nice. I wish Löve could do it. I mean JavaScript can do it. And it allows for nice effects, including textured 3D models. (Would make my 3D project so much cooler now, wouldn't it?) But all we have is scaling H and V dimensions at decimals. I'd love to tell an image to stretch itself to four corner coordinates. Place top left here, top right there, bottom left... etc... OpenGL can do it. Löve just doesn't have an interface for it. OpenGL is capable of so much more stuff than Löve lets us do.

It should use a similar context to how JavaScript does it for ease of use.

Though if I knew a lick of Cocoa, I probably wouldn't be using Löve now, would I?
Luiji
Party member

Post by Luiji »

Maybe there should be a love.opengl module for interfacing directly with OpenGL commands. Admittedly this would make my XNA/XBOX port much harder, but it is worth it to have so much more capability in the respect of image manipulation.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Please no love.opengl module, please. I'm absolutely in favour of providing more power to the lover, but only if the API follows the rest of LÖVE's design: it should be (relatively) easy to use and implementation-agnostic.
hertzcastle
Party member

Post by hertzcastle »

i agree with robin, it should be love-centric. opening up all of opengl would just be a long and tedious task that wouldnt lead to better games. some basic 3d transform stuff would be really damn cool tho. maybe love.transform ?x
vrld
Party member

Post by vrld »

GLSL support would solve this issue ;)
Also, I am not quite sure how I could benefit from a love.opengl other than using stuff like FBOs
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Simple 3D stuff is really all we need. I'm not asking for access to every single OpenGL thing out there. Just for the same capabilities that JavaScript can do now. WebGL is pretty impressive stuff. Being able to do that stuff in Löve with its faster engine would be amazing.

Though I'll settle for image distortion for now.
hertzcastle
Party member

Post by hertzcastle »

@jasaco : agreed!