Minecraft Invitation

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Ensayia
Party member

Re: Minecraft Invitation

Post by Ensayia »

Updated the original post with more information and a server map. So far we've had an incredible turnout, come join us!
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

Ensayia wrote:Updated the original post with more information and a server map. So far we've had an incredible turnout, come join us!
How did you implement the map? I've been looking for a simple map solution.
bekey
Party member

[]

Post by bekey »

-snip-
Last edited by bekey on Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ensayia
Party member

Post by Ensayia »

T-Bone wrote:How did you implement the map? I've been looking for a simple map solution.
First off, I'm running on Linux so automating this process is easy. YMMV on WIndows.

I'm utilizing a program called Minecraft Overviewer that generates a map from your world.dat file and outputs an HTML file you can upload to a webserver. The map itself is powered by Google Maps. The catch is you have to run the program to generate a new map each time, so I set up a cron job to execute every half hour. It uses cache so it doesn't regenerate the entire map, just the parts that have changed. If go this route I recommend limiting the program to only a few process threads with the command line switch or even just setting it to use a limited number of cores, as it's rather CPU intensive.

P.S. It should be noted that Overviewer depends on python and a few other python related libraries. THe dependencies aren't too heavy and if you are on Arch it's available pre-compiled in the AUR. You may have to compile it for other distros.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

Ensayia wrote:
T-Bone wrote:How did you implement the map? I've been looking for a simple map solution.
First off, I'm running on Linux so automating this process is easy. YMMV on WIndows.

I'm utilizing a program called Minecraft Overviewer that generates a map from your world.dat file and outputs an HTML file you can upload to a webserver. The map itself is powered by Google Maps. The catch is you have to run the program to generate a new map each time, so I set up a cron job to execute every half hour. It uses cache so it doesn't regenerate the entire map, just the parts that have changed. If go this route I recommend limiting the program to only a few process threads with the command line switch or even just setting it to use a limited number of cores, as it's rather CPU intensive.

P.S. It should be noted that Overviewer depends on python and a few other python related libraries. THe dependencies aren't too heavy and if you are on Arch it's available pre-compiled in the AUR. You may have to compile it for other distros.
Thanks for the info! It looks pretty easy to set up, I'll give it a try :)
Ensayia
Party member

Post by Ensayia »

I will be updating the server's status in the main post until I can find a more elegant way of doing it.
Karai17
Party member

Post by Karai17 »

I joined, found a place to settle and will build tonight after work. c:
STI - An awesome Tiled library
LÖVE3D - A 3D library for LÖVE 0.10+

Dev Blog | GitHub | excessive ❤ moé
Jeeper
Party member

Post by Jeeper »

Joining in aswell :)

"Jeepzerg" is the name. Although I much prefer creative mode, survival gets me bored quite quickly, ill get it a shot!
Karai17
Party member

Post by Karai17 »

My kingdom's borders are now defined. Though I am neutral to all new parties, I will be expanding my walls to provide my kingdom with security. I may in the future be looking to provide citizenship and building rights within my borders, or to establish trade agreements and trade routes. I'll keep y'all posted on my developments.

--
King Karai
Kingdom of Karaibia
Last edited by Karai17 on Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
STI - An awesome Tiled library
LÖVE3D - A 3D library for LÖVE 0.10+

Dev Blog | GitHub | excessive ❤ moé
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

Karai17 wrote:My kingdom's borders are now defined. Though I am neutral to all new parties, I will be expanding my walls to provide my kingdom with security. I may in the future be looking to provide citizenship and building rights within my borders, or to establish trade agreements and trade routes. I'll keep y'all posted on my developments.

--
King Karai
Kingdom of Karaisrael
is it a left type of kingdom or non political?