Finding Love

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Finding Love

Post by nevon »

Finding Love is a minesweeper clone where you play the role of an angel/God/person with deductive skills, helping Cupid find his lost love. While doing so you must also mark places where you think a broken heart may be hidden. See, cherubs are delicate beings who would lose their innocence and their magical powers if they were exposed to a broken heart. Duh!

Or, it's a game I made because I wanted to make cute little illustrations.

Enjoy!

Download link
Robin
The Omniscient

Re: Finding Love

Post by Robin »

Too bad it's not Sucky-Computer-Compliant. Other than that, nice.

One feature I do miss is the ability to click on an open number and if you found the right number of broken harts around them, all other cells pop open.

Who am I kidding? This is really just about the illustrations. ;) And they do look stunning.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
nevon

Post by nevon »

Robin wrote:Too bad it's not Sucky-Computer-Compliant. Other than that, nice.
It should be now. I just forgot to require the padding module.
Robin wrote:One feature I do miss is the ability to click on an open number and if you found the right number of broken harts around them, all other cells pop open.
I've never actually used that feature. When you say "all other cells", what do you mean?
Robin wrote:Who am I kidding? This is really just about the illustrations. ;) And they do look stunning.
Heh, it kinda is. But I do like a game of minesweeper. And thanks.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

nevon wrote:
Robin wrote:One feature I do miss is the ability to click on an open number and if you found the right number of broken harts around them, all other cells pop open.
I've never actually used that feature. When you say "all other cells", what do you mean?
I meant all neighbour cells without a broken-heart flag.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
hryx
Party member

Post by hryx »

Wonderful lil' thing! Making Minesweeper into a peaceful fluffy bunny.

Want any original music and sound effects? I'd be happy to provide.
nevon

Post by nevon »

hryx wrote:Want any original music and sound effects? I'd be happy to provide.
Originally I wanted to find some soft string music of some kind (maybe a harp :ultrahappy: ). But then I figured there's a reason why these kinds of games don't have music. They're meant to be little distractions, not "experiences" in the way some other games are. Plus, it would really beef up the file size of the download. So thanks for the offer, but no thank you.
DarkPrince
Prole

Post by DarkPrince »

Well some background music wouldn't be too bad, and of course it is only large if you use a hi-fi file.. ;) At least, imho, you could put some sound effects (ones which match the style) into the game. That would help a lot.

I do have a complaint though. I found it to be nice, and everything smooth, until the very end. Why in the world is the whole game based on the mouse input EXCEPT the Play Again or Quit menu? Those should be mouse-based too! Found that very inconvenient... :(

And of course, I have a folder in my Projects folder called Minesweeper... guess that is trashed... Lol... Great job, sir. ^^
nevon

Post by nevon »

DarkPrince wrote:Well some background music wouldn't be too bad, and of course it is only large if you use a hi-fi file.. ;) At least, imho, you could put some sound effects (ones which match the style) into the game. That would help a lot.
Yeah, maybe. I'll consider it.
DarkPrince wrote:I do have a complaint though. I found it to be nice, and everything smooth, until the very end. Why in the world is the whole game based on the mouse input EXCEPT the Play Again or Quit menu? Those should be mouse-based too! Found that very inconvenient... :(
Haha, yeah, I know what you mean. I wanted to do that too, but I couldn't be bothered once I had the game more or less finished. If I get around to adding some sound effects and/or music, I'll add mouse controls to the end screens.
DarkPrince wrote:And of course, I have a folder in my Projects folder called Minesweeper... guess that is trashed... Lol... Great job, sir. ^^
Well, the code is GPL2 and the art CC-BY-SA (it doesn't really say that anywhere though, since I just made it up) so feel free to make this one better - if you can somehow muddle through the cryptic and completely uncommented code. For example, you could fix mouse controls for the end screens. ;)
hryx
Party member

Post by hryx »

For a game like this, the amount of music would be very small. You're right that it could be distracting, but I think the LOVE demo No did it pretty well: A brief prelude in the game menu, silence during the gameplay, and a jingle whenever you finish a level (which may have been a tiny bit jarring after silence).

With that in mind, the added file size would be negligible, as long as you use Ogg Vorbis or a module format. But yeah, any music would have to be modest and brief. Some very gentle sound effects for clicks might be good too.

Either way, it works fine without sound if you prefer it that way.