My first game [wip]

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
SPlice
Prole

My first game [wip]

Post by SPlice »

Well I decided I wanted to make a game a while back, and I had no idea what I was doing or the scope of the project really. I knew I wanted a really cool space adventure game with RTS and RPG elements with a persistent universe and cool destruction and all kinds of stuff. SO I set out to learn how to program and make a game and this is what I have so far. I am slightly reluctant to show it off as it is very WIP and many features are not done and or broken and such. But I want to know what people thing so here it is.

Almost all the library's are of my own devising. Many are not fully implemented right now or incomplete. (I think the table to string stuff is someones that I found I plan on writing my own when I get around to it.)

You can turn different components on and off with the number keys or by clicked the gui buttons.

The space bar toggles the weapon lock, this is slightly messed up at the moment but if you want to fire you need to unlock your weapons.

The AI is mission for the moment because I reworked my entity library to not have any meta tables because I hate OOP and I think meta tables suck. The AI didn't work well before I did this so rather than make it work I scrapped it and started new.

It does not save when you exit the game.

The faction choice has no bearing on anything at the moment.

There are other planets, I think they are too far away for it to be reasonable to fly to them at the moment.

You might be able to move your ship with the right click but I am not sure if that is in at the moment and if it works.

There is some neat per pixel collision detection and it places scorch marks and fire and stuff.

There is no way to change equipment currently without going into the code. This is a planned feature when I get to it.

The graphic settings kinda work but the keys are not configurable at the moment.

There are only two ships that will spawn at the start and you cannot destroy the other one just mess it up really bad.

Play around with it and tell me what you think.

Some of the art might be stolen placeholder stuff, The only thing I can think of that definitely is, is the star background, I needed something that looked more like space to see how the effects looked.

I will be updating it soon.

I want to make it multi-player at some point. I tried to do that at one point but it made it a lot harder to work with and I think I will wait till its somewhat playable before I try messing with that again.

Thanks and please be gentle its my first effort and I am nervous about showing it because I have worked very hard and I am not really sure if It is any good or utter rubbish and I would like very much to make a game people want to play.

edit
I changed a few things, the player has a different ship, your galaxy can be viewed using the M key, don't select a system or it will crash because the function to change systems got worked on and I have to fix it still.

edit
47n7G0j.jpeg
47n7G0j.jpeg (104.01 KiB) Viewed 188 times
0i2IJOc.png
0i2IJOc.png (161.62 KiB) Viewed 188 times
edit

I added a thing to draw space clutter from a density map that's stored on the hd. I plan on having it save debris and stuff so if you have a big fight or mine all the rocks in an area and come back it will show the changes.

K8UQgBX.jpeg
K8UQgBX.jpeg (57.07 KiB) Viewed 188 times
Last edited by SPlice on Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:45 am, edited 8 times in total.
Hexenhammer
Party member

Re: My first game [wip]

Post by Hexenhammer »

I like the menu system, looks slick. Not much to do yet but I see a lot of potential :thumbsup:
Azhukar
Party member

Post by Azhukar »

I started the game, got through the menu and then right-clicked space -> crash.

dave_entity.lua 1131 attempt to index intercept_point a number value
SPlice
Prole

Post by SPlice »

ah woops, yeah the right click to move thing is broken, can still use asdw but erm thanks for bringing that to my attention. The code that is supposed to calculate intercepts for things in motion is hard to do! I think I might need to know something about calculus to do it properly. Really the most interesting thing you can do at the moment is blast the other ship around.
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

i once created a game called unknown space.

also

use this code for the text box:
(mostly from the love2d wiki)

Code: Select all

function love.load()
    text = "Type away! -- "
end

function love.keypressed(key, unicode)
    -- ignore non-printable characters (see http://www.ascii-code.com/)
    if unicode > 31 and unicode < 127 then
        text = text .. string.char(unicode)
    end
    if key == "backspace" then
	 text = text:sub(1,-2) -- removes last character (similar to [:-1] in python)
    end
end
function love.draw()
    love.graphics.printf(text, 0, 0, 800)
end
SPlice
Prole

Post by SPlice »

Gah it seems all the good names are taken, also that seems like a good tip for the text entry stuff, thanks!
tavuntu
Citizen

Post by tavuntu »

Looks nice, I'll take a look :)