EAT IT! Updated: 8/27 - Version P2

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
jjmafiae
Party member

Re: Eat It!

Post by jjmafiae »

Wow, this is a high quality löve, i like it.
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

I feel like helpful today, so there you go a couple of cool soundtracks to fill the gaping void in musical accompaniment.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2SiUN3 ... sp=sharing
retrotails
Party member

Post by retrotails »

I can draw or 3D model the food items if you want. Then they can rotate (maybe that'd be cool)
I doubt they'd be any better then what you have either way though.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

raidho36 wrote:Oh yeah? You're just so assertive and confident about your flawless code that can't possibly fail that I decided to see what's going on for myself:

Place a limit to game.skill value, or extend the multiplierList table. Or, better yet, just compute required values via function rather than look them up. To me, this is really messy way to set the game.skill value anyway.
Yeah, I found that afterwards and fixed it. The second part of the quad calculation part was wrong. It wasn't supposed to be "multiplierList[game.skill]". It was just supposed to be "game.skill". Not sure how it goy past me. I guess I never got to level 10. Wait... are you saying you went past level 9? Because technically, that bug shouldn't have happened until then? (Since the multiplierList table only went to 9 entries and I've only played up to level 9. (LOL, that's exactly the level I died at when I got 2.9m points. So I never hit the bug.) I guess it's like you kind of found a "kill screen". Which should now be fixed. The multiplier was being limited, but the game.skill wasn't because it didn't need to be and I accidentally put it in the multiplierList table. All fixed.

That is why I said it shouldn't happen. And you should be less rude and arrogant.
raidho36 wrote:I feel like helpful today, so there you go a couple of cool soundtracks to fill the gaping void in musical accompaniment.
While Mötley Crüe is a good soundtrack, I would think it'd only be at home in CrüeBall.
retrotails wrote:I can draw or 3D model the food items if you want. Then they can rotate (maybe that'd be cool)
I doubt they'd be any better then what you have either way though.
I'd love to see what you could do if you know how to draw. I've always pictured it with a painted look. High resolution since I just scale it down. 3D models would probably look cheap unless a cel shading shader was used on them.
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

And you should be less rude and arrogant.
Says the person who tells me this
>There's no reason that line should have a problem. Try again.
without bothering to actually check anything before I pointed it out. Although you might had a quick glance at the line, but obviously you haven't payed any real attention to it.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

raidho36 wrote:
And you should be less rude and arrogant.
Says the person who tells me this
>There's no reason that line should have a problem. Try again.
without bothering to actually check anything before I pointed it out. Although you might had a quick glance at the line, but obviously you haven't payed any real attention to it.
There was no reason it should have had a problem in theory. It was a typo. Seeing as I never hit that bug because I never made it to level 10 I would have never found the mistake. I thank you for pointing it out, but you could be a little more polite about it. And maybe I could have worded my post better. But you can see why I'd be surprised seeing as I had tested it extensively before posting. You should have posted the steps it took for you to get that error as well instead of just posting the error. Would have been a little more helpful. I meant try again as in I wanted to know if it happened every time. You didn't mention it only happened once you got to level 10.
retrotails
Party member

Post by retrotails »

2 styles, tell me if it's worth continuing (none of these are near final quality)
http://99.30.162.147/static/food/0001.gif
http://99.30.162.147/static/food/beer.gif
http://99.30.162.147/static/food/fritas.gif
sorry if my site is ever down.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

They don't have to rotate. Well, not that way. Are you able to draw some by hand? Do you have a tablet? I'd love to have the food drawn in the style of the original game's artwork...

retrotails
Party member

Post by retrotails »

Jasoco wrote:They don't have to rotate. Well, not that way. Are you able to draw some by hand? Do you have a tablet? I'd love to have the food drawn in the style of the original game's artwork...

So really realistic? Because yes, I do have a tablet, but I'm not good at drawing. (it's sat on top of my PC for months now, it's so demotivating seeing my own drawings)
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

retrotails wrote:So really realistic? Because yes, I do have a tablet, but I'm not good at drawing. (it's sat on top of my PC for months now, it's so demotivating seeing my own drawings)
I'm not good at drawing anymore either. Try drawing something. Like replicate the pizza slice. I dunno. I wish I knew someone who could draw like all these new Indie games are these days. Braid, the new Spelunky. Or even the new Rayman games. There's just something about painterly style.

I'd take 3D pre-renderings if they had a good enough shader on them. I always prefer a cartoony look over a realistic one in cases like these. It should be colorful and unrealistic. Like it's out of a cartoon.

Heck, I could probably have stuck with my original pixel art. But if I'm going through so much to make the game resolution independent (1080p) pixel art just doesn't fit.

I envy the indie developers who do everything themselves. Lucky bastards.

Actually, I like what I've done myself so far. Some of my sprites are finished, but not all of them. Especially 3 out of 5 of the mouth states. I just need to redraw the pickles myself. I got those from a Google image search for pickle. Note: Do not search for "purple pickles". Even with safe search.

Alternatively, I would take pictures of actual food myself. Or better yet, I'd buy some clay and make clay models of everything like they did back in the old DOS game days (DOOM) and take pictures of that. Then it would have the cartoony look I need and I could do anything I want with it. Actually, that's not a bad idea...