I'm new

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Darkcheese
Prole

I'm new

Post by Darkcheese »

Hello I'm Darkcheese and I'm new to Love.

I'm 12 years old and learnt lua through Roblox. Roblox is a game-maker to teach children to script, but most members can't.It is 3d and is in a 'lego style' world where everything is made of bricks.Now I've got the hang of that I wanted to start making some applications and games.After countless hours of searching through google I found LOVE, and I'm here now.
So the main reason I made this thread is I wanted to say hi, what should I do.I have looked at a few tutorials but I'm confused with Hamster Ball.Am I supposed to download the hamster from somewhere, if so where.
Thanks for your time. :)
Robin
The Omniscient

Re: I'm new

Post by Robin »

Hello Darkcheese, and welcome.

Do you know how to use LÖVE? If not, I'll explain.

You put the code in a file called main.lua. (I assume you know how folders and files work)

Then you drag the folder main.lua is in to the love program, you probably have an icon on the desktop, right?

Then it will run. With Hamsterball you need an extra image though. Just take any image you have lying around and name it hamster.png, and place it in the same folder you put main.lua in.

Then it will work.

If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask them here, we're rather friendly. :)
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Darkcheese
Prole

Post by Darkcheese »

Thanks for that Robin.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Robin wrote:Just take any image you have lying around and name it hamster.png, and place it in the same folder you put main.lua in.
Well, there is a limitation, it has to be a png.