Engine talk stuff

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
DaedalusYoung
Party member

Re: Engine talk stuff

Post by DaedalusYoung »

Yeah, I've taught myself PHP, HTML, CSS, and long, long ago even BASIC, so now I'm adding Lua (also wrote a script or two in JavaScript, but not really worth noting). It just helps to have a good explanation of concepts (such as metatables) to better understand and thus see where while programming one would want to use them. A lot is self explanatory, if you've got a functions list, you've got the building blocks, but some things are beyond that and aren't explained with just showing how a function is called. And however that is explained, in written text or in a proper video tut, doesn't matter to me.
Eamonn
Party member

Post by Eamonn »

Haha, that's awesome. I'd love to have a programming book(other than the Linux Format mag that I bought the other day(which teaches Python, Ruby, Django, Rails, Java and the Android API)). Just curious, why do you not like video tutorials? Is it just tutorials on general stuff that you don't like? Is it just programming tutorials? I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just curios why you don't like them. Everyone to their own opinion. I have a friend that had to read books on programming to learn something. He can't learn from watching a video(unless he spends 2 hours(and that's assuming the video is 5 minutes long)).

This is a really weird thread. Sorry jjmafiae if it is annoying you that this got split from you're other thread. I did derail it, but hey: We're having a good chat here, aren't we??
"In those quiet moments, you come into my mind" - Liam Reilly
NightKawata
Party member

Post by NightKawata »

it's ok because these topics never stay on track
Uh, anyways.
Eamonn wrote:Haha, that's awesome. I'd love to have a programming book(other than the Linux Format mag that I bought the other day(which teaches Python, Ruby, Django, Rails, Java and the Android API)). Just curious, why do you not like video tutorials? Is it just tutorials on general stuff that you don't like? Is it just programming tutorials? I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just curios why you don't like them. Everyone to their own opinion. I have a friend that had to read books on programming to learn something. He can't learn from watching a video(unless he spends 2 hours(and that's assuming the video is 5 minutes long)).

This is a really weird thread. Sorry jjmafiae if it is annoying you that this got split from you're other thread. I did derail it, but hey: We're having a good chat here, aren't we??
I never feel in the mood to sit down and watch a tutorial any more, unless I absolutely must.
But yeah, that really only applies for programming tutorials, oddly enough. It's not that I don't like them, moreover I can't be arsed to watch them any more.
"I view Python for game usage about the same as going fishing with a stick of dynamite. It will do the job but it's big, noisy, you'll probably get soaking wet and you've still got to get the damn fish out of the water." -taylor
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

The #1 major problem with video tutorials is that in the 95% of cases the narrator is getting to the point LUDICROUSLY slow and you can't skip because they say things at random and you can easily skip through actually important notes. It's absolutely common to watch for minutes how just about nothing is going on because the dude can't get his shit together. Most of the 30 minutes videos can easily fit in 1 minute clip if designed properly. The most terrible ones are the art tutorials, in them that shit is 100% often and it takes really long to get anything done. I kinda realize that it actually takes a while, but where's your god damn fast forward? The biggest bitches don't even use hotkeys and 75% the time they would drag their pointer all across the screen searching for menus. That's ridiculous.
DaedalusYoung
Party member

Post by DaedalusYoung »

I agree, people just jump in and start recording, don't think about what they're going to do, so they're searching for everything; they don't edit their tutorials to cut out all the stuff where nothing's happening, decent editors aren't that hard to find anymore, if you absolutely must, use Movie Maker / iMovie, but ALWAYS edit, so you can just do a second take when you mess things up 1st time. Prepare your tutorials, make a list of what you're going through, think about it; in a way, making a video tutorial is a lot like programming, you have to tell your learners everything, in the most efficient way possible (you can even have functions, just by saying "we will get to this later").
Daniel Eakins
Citizen

Post by Daniel Eakins »

Also, most of them don't take the time to add subtitles to the video through the YouTube interface. I mean, think about the people whose first language isn't English! Or even just the native English speakers who don't want to turn on the sound for any reason.
Eamonn
Party member

Post by Eamonn »

I would add subtitles, but here's why I don't:

The only other language I know is Spanish, and even then I don't know much of it.
Google Translate isn't exactly "Trustworthly", is it? I've used it and it isn't accurate.

I'm still going to make video tutorials though. :|
"In those quiet moments, you come into my mind" - Liam Reilly
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

Eamonn wrote:I would add subtitles, but here's why I don't:

The only other language I know is Spanish, and even then I don't know much of it.
Google Translate isn't exactly "Trustworthly", is it? I've used it and it isn't accurate.

i thought you were Irish???
Daniel Eakins
Citizen

Post by Daniel Eakins »

Eamonn wrote:I would add subtitles, but here's why I don't:

I meant actual English subtitles. I can read English text fine, even though it's not my first language; however, spoken English can be difficult for me to understand. (Anyway, that's just my two cents. I'm not that fond of video tutorials either way.)
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

Daniel Eakins wrote: I meant actual English subtitles. I can read English text fine, even though it's not my first language; however, spoken English can be difficult for me to understand. (Anyway, that's just my two cents. I'm not that fond of video tutorials either way.)
are you from the Eastern part of the world?