Share a Shader!

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
scutheotaku
Party member

Re: Share a Shader!

Post by scutheotaku »

raidho36 wrote:The yellow ball has reflections inside out, but other than that it's an "okay". I don't honestly understand why lövers are so obsessed with 3d and particularry with raytracing.
I don't quite understand why you are so obsessed with people experimenting with 3D with LOVE. I mean, even if you disagree with it, what's it to you? Also, raytracing like this could be extremely useful for 2D games.
RedHot
Citizen

Post by RedHot »

Raytracing useful for 2D games? Don't get ahead of yourself mate. Raytracing is hella pricey. There are people here crying they can't support OpenGL 2.1 and yet here we are debating on the usefulness of raytracing in 2D games. Very often the effect doesn't surpass a similar one that comes at a lower cost using other techniques.

I'd be pleased to see your idea of using RT for 2D games though :)
scutheotaku
Party member

Post by scutheotaku »

RedHot wrote:Raytracing useful for 2D games? Don't get ahead of yourself mate. Raytracing is hella pricey. There are people here crying they can't support OpenGL 2.1 and yet here we are debating on the usefulness of raytracing in 2D games. Very often the effect doesn't surpass a similar one that comes at a lower cost using other techniques.

I'd be pleased to see your idea of using RT for 2D games though :)
I don't think anyone is debating haha
Anyway, of course raytracing is pricey, and it's usefulness as a replacement for rasterization in 2D games is questionable. That being said, I'd love to see some experimental games that make use of this. Why not? If it looks cool and runs well enough, then sure. And what better place to experiment with things like that than in small "indie" games?

Note that the point of my post wasn't to say "we should all be raytracing! It's a revolution!," instead it was to respond to someone who said that doing this in LOVE was pointless. I disagree that it is pointless, since such an effect could obviously be used to great effect in a LOVE game (particularly if a hybrid approach was taken). And besides, the point of this thread isn't "here's my super game," it's "share a shader" :)

EDIT: But, really, let's definitely not argue about this :) It's mainly that, in cases like these, I don't like people trying to kill others' curiosity by saying "you can't do that" or "doing that is pointless."
Ref
Party member

Post by Ref »

Thought some of you might be interested in see how David Hoskins created a runner shader.
Lots of magic numbers!!
Hope I haven't introduced too many grievous error when porting it to Love. (Sure RedHot will point them out - I hope.)
Attachments
runner.love
Sure wish there was an tut on shaders
(2.53 KiB) Downloaded 552 times
Germanunkol
Party member

Post by Germanunkol »

Beautiful!

But I don't like the feet. I know this is not about the shape but about the shader, but I still think the feet should be animated more: They look like he's floating. Instead, they should bend to "fit" on the ground...
trAInsported - Write AI to control your trains
Bandana (Dev blog) - Platformer featuring an awesome little ninja by Micha and me
GridCars - Our jam entry for LD31
Germanunkol.de
RedHot
Citizen

Post by RedHot »

Too many lines of code for a quick debugging session ;)
Ranguna259
Party member

Post by Ranguna259 »

Some waves
Attachments
Waves.love
(725 Bytes) Downloaded 509 times
LoveDebug- A library that will help you debug your game with an on-screen fully interactive lua console, you can even do code hotswapping :D

Check out my twitter.
Ratchet
Citizen

Post by Ratchet »

Does anybody got a inverted fisheye shader or know how to do that?
macOS 10.14 Mojave | LÖVE 11.2
RedHot
Citizen

Post by RedHot »

Just post a working fish eye effect Love file and I will invert it for you just for sport. Also, I'd need more details on how exactly you wish to invert the effect.
Ratchet
Citizen

Post by Ratchet »

I want to do a 360 ° view using a panorama image. To fake a perspective I want to use a inverted fisheye effect. The goal is a game like Myst with 360 ° environment. Or is there a better way to fake some kind of perspective?
macOS 10.14 Mojave | LÖVE 11.2