Performance improvement for Love debugging in ZBS

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
paulclinger
Party member

Performance improvement for Love debugging in ZBS

Post by paulclinger »

ZeroBrane Studio has long provided Love2d debugging support (in fact, I think Love2d was one of the first engines that ZBS supported), but the debugging performance has left much to be desired. I'm putting final touches on the next version of ZBS (0.36) that include performance improvements that should make applications running under the debugger to run faster than before.

How much faster depends on your application. I did see 10x better performance on simple Lua scripts (loops with simple function calls) as well as 6-8x better performance on two real Love games. Libraries like zoetrope also run noticeably faster, but if your game spends most of the time outside of Lua code, you may not see much of an improvement.

I'd appreciate if those of you who use ZBS could get the current version from the repository and check if the debugging performance is any better for your games/applications. The current repository code should run out of the box on Windows, OSX, and Linux, and use your current configuration (it may migrate your config on Windows), so it's expected to be fairly painless. This code will go into the release next week, so any feedback you can provide will help. Thank you. Paul.