help needed (tiles, character)

The LövelyRPG project, a community initiative aiming to create an open source role playing game.

Moderator: Lövely RPG Community

giniu
Party member

help needed (tiles, character)

Post by giniu »

As you probably know, on community request we changed to projection from trimetric to dimetric. There is how it now looks: prototype1_iteration2_wip5.love.

Unfortunately, as you can see, we have no tiles - or rather what we have for now is solid colour. If you artist and want to help, now is your chance - we will be needing some nice tiles, it is most important for now probably, along with character :)

The format for tiles is present on github project page. The requirement is that the tiles line-up correctly, so that when we set few tiles of same type next to another we don't see edges.

Of course our hero is still Mr. Blocky, he is 1x1x1.75m cuboid running trough our virtual world, we could use something with legs :)

Finally, to complete this iteration of prototype we will be needing one sample of foliage (some bushes, approx to knees) and one road sign, pointing any direction. But this is lower priority.

If you have some spare time, we could use also some tiles that contains change from one type of terrain to another, but that's even lower on out priority queue of tasks.

Thank you in advance for all for your help :)
tentus
Inner party member

Re: help needed (tiles, character)

Post by tentus »

https://github.com/lovelyrpgcommunity/A ... ces/images for those who don't like hunting down links.

Giniu, you may want to talk in the thread starter a bit about where the art should be generally headed: my impression from partymetroid's story was kinda steampunky, but I could be totally wrong.

Also, am I correct in assuming that tiles should use Boolean transparency for the unused space, at least for now? The tiles you have up are pretty much all or nothing.
Kurosuke needs beta testers
giniu
Party member

Post by giniu »

tentus wrote:https://github.com/lovelyrpgcommunity/A ... ces/images for those who don't like hunting down links.
or, they can use the .love file I linked in previous post, it allows to test tiles out at same time without git knowledge
tentus wrote:Giniu, you may want to talk in the thread starter a bit about where the art should be generally headed: my impression from partymetroid's story was kinda steampunky, but I could be totally wrong.
I will when I find some spare time, though for now it is all on first 2 pages on docs. And yes, we are aiming at steam-punk stylistics, and were from beginning. All story contest entries had to comply to our focus document, and the stylistics was already there.
tentus wrote:Also, am I correct in assuming that tiles should use Boolean transparency for the unused space, at least for now? The tiles you have up are pretty much all or nothing.
True. Boolean transparency is nicer for older video cards afaik, so we probably keep to it.
tentus
Inner party member

Post by tentus »

giniu wrote:
tentus wrote:https://github.com/lovelyrpgcommunity/A ... ces/images for those who don't like hunting down links.
or, they can use the .love file I linked in previous post, it allows to test tiles out at same time without git knowledge
Fair enough, I thought that that because you said
giniu wrote: The format for tiles is present on github project page
that you might has a psd or formatting guidelines up somewhere. Sorry about that.

Where is the focus document? Right now trying to find out details about this project is a bit of an undertaking in itself, you either have to slog backwards through this subforum or know your way around github. If you're trying to rope in artists, the second option ceases to be viable, so I would recommend making a topic that links out to helpful documents.
Kurosuke needs beta testers
giniu
Party member

Post by giniu »

tentus wrote:Where is the focus document?
If official topic in first post there is link to pdf, it most up to date version is in github downloads as pdf - LovelyRPG.pdf. Though I agree, that now we have separate forum some sticky topic with it can be good, will make one soon (though first I'd like to do small update to docs probably, to include projection change).
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

In case it helps, I've found two gimp scripts that might be useful for the tiles.

The antialiasing isn't particularly good, but it can probably give you artists a start.

Here's how to install them (they are scripts, not plugins)

(I know; dimetric, not isometric. Yeah.)
Last edited by kikito on Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When I write def I mean function.
giniu
Party member

Post by giniu »

kikito wrote:(I know; dimetric, not isometric. Yeah.)
anyway, it's good starting point I believe, thanks for looking it up :)

Other way to get idea how stuff look like is using for example Wings3D or similar 3D app (Wings is probably easiest to start with and powerful enough to make most stuff for any game. Though I might be little biased here).

You can create stuff there, with tiles it's simple because you just create a cube. Then load saved view (there is empty file with saved view on our github page, though I need to update it for dimetric, will do it soon) and switch to orthogonal. The result is that you can rotate stuff and get correct projection, then take screenshot or render and use it as template. The good thing is that UV mapping texture onto box is damn simple, and when rotated you get it with correct angles - you have to, because it's projected using same values as we use - you only have to take into account some texture corrections to make the image lineup, but it's not that bad if original, unprojected texture was lining up already. You can also project only texture reference like on this screenshot.

--edit:
the Wings3D file is up at github (whiff.wings). I did not removed the old saved view, so there are two saved views (Whiff: dimetric and Whiff: trimetric). Remember to switch to orthogonal (because in Wings it's not property of camera but window, so it's not saved in saved views). Oh, and if you want to rotate stuff, don't use camera rotation, but object rotation. It's object that rotates in world, camera has fixed angle here.
giniu
Party member

Post by giniu »

tentus wrote:Right now trying to find out details about this project is a bit of an undertaking in itself, you either have to slog backwards through this subforum or know your way around github. If you're trying to rope in artists, the second option ceases to be viable, so I would recommend making a topic that links out to helpful documents.
Here, finished :). Just made some monster topic with links, description what we are doing and other stuff A Whiff of Steam: what is it about?
deposeJack
Prole

Post by deposeJack »

yo.
I'll be happy to take a shot at some graphics, i just need some pixel dimensions to work from :)
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

deposeJack wrote:yo.
I'll be happy to take a shot at some graphics, i just need some pixel dimensions to work from :)
I'm sorry to say this project is deader than disco.
Help us help you: attach a .love.