[Poll] Should we change projection?

The LövelyRPG project, a community initiative aiming to create an open source role playing game.

Moderator: Lövely RPG Community

Projection for Whiff

Poll ended at Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:23 pm

Trimetric (don't change, we voted for it before)
35%
Dimetric (change, change, change...)
65%

Total votes: 20

giniu
Party member

[Poll] Should we change projection?

Post by giniu »

Take a look at following examples:
  • Image - here we have game with trimetric view (our current view)
  • Image - here we have game with dimetric vew (the other one)
above pictures were selected to be same size and similar type of game (rpg vs hack'n'slash, but some don't see any difference). Anyway, there was discussion about if we should change or now, so I decided to make a poll. By valid vote I understand only vote with comment describing decision.

I will close the poll when there will be 2 conditions met:
  • at least 20 valid votes (because even that last time half of votes was for trimetric, now none likes it), so lets make sure enough people vote this time - I wouldn't take the decisions based on less than 20 votes anymore, it's not representative and it costs delays, so it's better to delay the voting than redo stuff later, which is lot more frustrating for people who worked on it.
  • at least twice as much votes for winning option than for runner up, so we need clear winner. Again, we don't accept close match, we cannot afford to have small differences as it turned out.
or (because it is revote) when 31 days pass. If 31 days pass without decision, we stick to what was decided earlier (trimetric).
giniu
Party member

Re: [Poll] Whiff of Steam: should we change projection?

Post by giniu »

I voted for trimetric, because it works already and worked well in other games, including commercial games. Also, in dimetric the symmetric buildings corners gives me strange feeling which I personally don't like. That's my vote, lets see what others think about it.
partymetroid
Citizen

Post by partymetroid »

I suppose that a non-axonometric projection is out of the question, then?
giniu
Party member

Post by giniu »

partymetroid wrote:I suppose that a non-axonometric projection is out of the question, then?
yes, because of technical reasons. It was never an option, even in previous poll.
partymetroid
Citizen

Post by partymetroid »

giniu wrote:
partymetroid wrote:I suppose that a non-axonometric projection is out of the question, then?
yes, because of technical reasons. It was never an option, even in previous poll.
Ah, I see.

I'm gonna try to make some sprites for both view points. I'll come back and vote when I'm done. :)
Ryne
Party member

Re: [Poll] Should we change projection?

Post by Ryne »

I vote Dimetric

Other examples of non-trimetric games

Final Fantasy Tactics:

Queens Crown:

I thought it best to show some "non-3d" shots, since that's the direction AWoS is headed.
@rynesaur
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

I voted trimetric, mostly because of the odd feeling of artificiality I get when looking at those dimetric things.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
giniu
Party member

Post by giniu »

Ryne wrote:Other examples of non-trimetric games

Final Fantasy Tactics:

Queens Crown:
I thought it best to show some "non-3d" shots, since that's the direction AWoS is headed.
actually FFT is 3D - though it's close. Probably tactic ogre would be better example. And QC isn't dimetric nor trimetric but oblique - oblique was ruled out quite some time ago. Anyway yeah, that's two more examples of non-trimetric, though not good examples for Whiff, cause we are 2D and deciding on dimetric vs trimetric here.
Elvenrix
Prole

Post by Elvenrix »

I voted for Dimetric view

I don't know why, but dimetric view makes me feel confortable.
Maybe its because most of the games i played (and enjoyed) uses that kind of view.

For example, when i first played fallout, i felt uneasy with the camera and movement,
but it fits perfectly with the game scenario, therefore, maybe this was a good thing for the game.
Another example, in Resident Evil (1, 2 and 3) the camera position makes me feel like im being observed all the time, and that contribute to the game.
ishkabible
Party member

Post by ishkabible »

i voted Dimetric, it just looks nicer to me. it looks like a real projection as apposed to a sketched projection to me. it's like a 3D game with out a way toe change the viewing angle.