"A Whiff of Steam" story contest

The LövelyRPG project, a community initiative aiming to create an open source role playing game.

Moderator: Lövely RPG Community

giniu
Party member

Re: "A Whiff of Steam" story contest

Post by giniu »

Robin wrote:My entry contains a lot of footnotes not directly part of the story, but pertaining to it. The footnotes sometimes suggest gameplay features as well. Is that OK?
you can add those as separate document or ticket (I think we have idea bucket, it fits there perfectly - of course it's good to have those propositions too as we need all that stuff), include them in story only if it will be critical for story, or are story element (for example if the story requires the player to jump onto train, the gameplay feature of jumping is important and can be added in there - same goes for some important weapon, transportation, spell, technique, whatever). There is catch though, if you add it, it cannot influence the results of contest, because this is "story contest", so only story will be judged.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

But is it OK to put non-story elements into footnotes? Because there are a lot of assumptions that are implicit and I think are obvious, but not everyone might agree, and some game play elements that are closely connected to, but not critical for the plot.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
giniu
Party member

Post by giniu »

Robin wrote:But is it OK to put non-story elements into footnotes? Because there are a lot of assumptions that are implicit and I think are obvious, but not everyone might agree, and some game play elements that are closely connected to, but not critical for the plot.
If you want, it wasn't prohibited in rules iirc, so sure - go for it - if it helps understand things, feel the style or whatever purpose it might serve.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Attachments
whiff_story_no_footnotes.pdf
PDF version without footnotes
(25.12 KiB) Downloaded 1485 times
whiff_story.pdf
PDF version
(35.13 KiB) Downloaded 1509 times
whiff_story.odt
ODT version
(32.97 KiB) Downloaded 1489 times
giniu
Party member

Post by giniu »

Great, we have 3 proposals now, so second condition is already met :D It means, that final deadline for contest is 1st November - month after original deadline, that was extended because of small number of proposals.
partymetroid
Citizen

Post by partymetroid »

Been working on some art projects as of late... which I'm about done with, so I can start finishing up my proposal sometime soon.

Look forward to it! :3
giniu
Party member

Post by giniu »

I'd like to remind, that next Monday is last day we accept your story submissions (to 23:59:59 GMT)! If you have it nearly done, don't miss the date - if you just started, remember to submit all you have, even when it's not finished. If it's superb, but unpolished idea it still has chance to win! (though smaller than other superb and polished idea of course)

I will read all proposals, and would like to ask all current developers to also do so, when we go trough it, I think we should have a dev meeting where we discuss the thing. Not very long one, I think we should just see if there is clear winner and if not, eliminate proposals that do not go along with rules of contest (from first post in this topic) and maybe let community decide about rest?
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Hurray!
giniu wrote:I think we should have a dev meeting where we discuss the thing. Not very long one, I think we should just see if there is clear winner and if not, eliminate proposals that do not go along with rules of contest (from first post in this topic) and maybe let community decide about rest?
We currently have 3 submissions, don't we? I don't think any submission so far fails to follow the rules, and if not, unless we get more proposals before the deadline, there wouldn't be much left for the community to choose from.

Anyway, will the developer meeting be on IRC or Google Wave? And at what time? If it is on a weekday, daytime in Europe, I (not to mention many others) probably won't be able to make it.
giniu
Party member

Post by giniu »

Robin wrote:Anyway, will the developer meeting be on IRC or Google Wave? And at what time? If it is on a weekday, daytime in Europe, I (not to mention many others) probably won't be able to make it.
About place I think that we go IRC, Google abandoned wave, so I think it's time for us to do so too - even that it had potential. Anyway about time, I planned Saturday, like sixth - I also have stuff to do during weekdays. And if we are at hours, I think there is still time to decide - I haven't been thinking about it yet.
partymetroid
Citizen

Post by partymetroid »

Here's my current submission. I hope there are no discrepancies between my story and the rules. :)

Cheers!

[edit] Argh, I accidentally closed my issue on the github repository. Sorry. :(
Attachments
storypitch.pdf
Story pitch in .pdf format
(58.83 KiB) Downloaded 1436 times
storypitch.odt
Story pitch in .odt format
(18.96 KiB) Downloaded 1285 times
storypitch.doc
Story pitch in .doc format
(24 KiB) Downloaded 1183 times