"A Whiff of Steam" story contest

The LövelyRPG project, a community initiative aiming to create an open source role playing game.

Moderator: Lövely RPG Community

Diablo
Prole

Re: "A Whiff of Steam" story contest

Post by Diablo »

If I saw this earlier I could have entered my nintendo rangers story.
giniu
Party member

Post by giniu »

Well, we have only one entry, that's quite unexpected, we hoped for at least 2-3 propositions. But, because I see there are other "offers", I think we should extend the deadline by 1 month - for now. That way, those who started the work or submitted proposal can further refine it, but new people will still have a chance. It's hardly a contest when there is one contestant, right? So it would be no fun, and I think it's lame to win when someone competes alone, so I think that partymetroid wouldn't have anything against it - especially, that he have as he said "semi-finished" proposal, so his also could use some more time.

To sum up, there is my proposal - let's extend the contest by at least month, and to moment when we have at least 3 proposals. That way, we can decide about gold, silver and bronze medals at least :)
partymetroid
Citizen

Post by partymetroid »

giniu wrote:Well, we have only one entry, that's quite unexpected, we hoped for at least 2-3 propositions. But, because I see there are other "offers", I think we should extend the deadline by 1 month - for now. That way, those who started the work or submitted proposal can further refine it, but new people will still have a chance. It's hardly a contest when there is one contestant, right? So it would be no fun, and I think it's lame to win when someone competes alone, so I think that partymetroid wouldn't have anything against it - especially, that he have as he said "semi-finished" proposal, so his also could use some more time.

To sum up, there is my proposal - let's extend the contest by at least month, and to moment when we have at least 3 proposals. That way, we can decide about gold, silver and bronze medals at least :)
Alright, sounds good! :D
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Good idea. If I can set my mind to it, I'd like to write something as well.

(BTW, I'm a bit out of the loop with this project, if you'd like me to do more, just contact me.)
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Elvenrix
Prole

Post by Elvenrix »

Thirty days, looks good.
I'll work on it every single spare minute i can find (after the WCG finals :P)
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

I've been ignoring this post because I went on holidays and when I came back I just didn't have time to write anything.

If there are 30 more days, I might be able to do something.

So, I've got questions.

The main one is: I'm not clear about what you guys want.

I mean, the story is pretty much written already in the docs, isn't it?
Game’s story is built around mysterious events. Protagonist awakes near the crashed train, he’s severe wounded and can’t move but [ ... ] still can not remember anything except for causing the crash. The truth won’t be easy to discover.
And
The hero, Cornelius King, is a double agent. [ ... ] be able to catch and question her.
So, are you asking for someone to, basically, add words to that structure?

Or, are you talking about a sidequest?

Or simply a novelization?

I'm really confused.
When I write def I mean function.
giniu
Party member

Post by giniu »

Robin wrote:Good idea. If I can set my mind to it, I'd like to write something as well.
Elvenrix wrote:Thirty days, looks good.
kikito wrote:I've been ignoring this post because I went on holidays and when I came back I just didn't have time to write anything.

If there are 30 more days, I might be able to do something.
great news, the more the merrier :D
kikito wrote: So, I've got questions.

The main one is: I'm not clear about what you guys want.
[...]
So, are you asking for someone to, basically, add words to that structure?

Or, are you talking about a sidequest?

Or simply a novelization?

I'm really confused.
Nope, no sidequests. Actually, we lost contact with original author of story, that's why we are not sure if the story will fit together and how it was meant to end. Also, there is only story for beginning really - that's why we asked to extend it (there is no outline for in-game events yet, only what happens before) and/or replace what is written in chapter 2 of documentation (though we prefer to extend than redo, but this time we can make an exception - but to keep to what is written in focus, so we don't redo too much, but if someone reuses what is in chapter 2, it is included to word limit).

So we ask about - how it is in first post - "write the main plot of the story, including multiple endings (if present)" - while what is in chapter 2 is outline for very beginning, describing really what happened before the game, not during the game. Of course, later on there will for sure be modifications, improvements and stuff, there is no doubt - a good outline for whole story insures us in case of unreachable main scenario writer and resulting troubles with finishing the story.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

Ok. Thanks for answering. I think I see what you are going. I'll try to "build over" instead of destroying stuff.

More questions. I might just put more emphasis on different things. Some characters might be obese, have no legs or simply be dead, and only appear on flashbacks or something.

Would that be allright? or has it been already decided how characters must look like? (I didn't see that on the PDF)

The "magic is science" relation is explained only summarily. Can I invent on that? For example, can I add schools of magic? or spells? or machines that use magic to create bunnies?

A thing that I didn't get is whether magic/science was available to the common fellow or it was something available only to a select elite. That would change the history pretty drastically. Is that defined, or can I do it as I want?

Sorry I'm asking lots of questions. I'd hate spending some nights on this to have it disqualified because of some point I overlooked.
When I write def I mean function.
giniu
Party member

Post by giniu »

kikito wrote:I might just put more emphasis on different things. Some characters might be obese, have no legs or simply be dead, and only appear on flashbacks or something.

Would that be allright? or has it been already decided how characters must look like? (I didn't see that on the PDF)
Only focus is set in stone - if something isn't there, it can be changed/modified/added.
kikito wrote:The "magic is science" relation is explained only summarily. Can I invent on that? For example, can I add schools of magic? or spells? or machines that use magic to create bunnies?
sure, though it's rather in scope of system design, not story - and while we appreciate it - it wouldn't count for story contest. Of course we have to add this stuff later. Unless of course, your story would rely on bunny-o-matic, the (in)famous bunny making machine ;)
kikito wrote:A thing that I didn't get is whether magic/science was available to the common fellow or it was something available only to a select elite. That would change the history pretty drastically. Is that defined, or can I do it as I want?
I don't remember it in focus, so it can be modelled as you want
kikito wrote:Sorry I'm asking lots of questions. I'd hate spending some nights on this to have it disqualified because of some point I overlooked.
Lots of questions are good - it also saves us time reading bad proposals :)
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

My entry contains a lot of footnotes not directly part of the story, but pertaining to it. The footnotes sometimes suggest gameplay features as well. Is that OK?

The story I'm writing is written from scratch, although it uses some names, faces, places and concept from the original story outline in Chapter 2.
Help us help you: attach a .love.