Official "A Whiff of Steam", the LövelyRPG project topic

The LövelyRPG project, a community initiative aiming to create an open source role playing game.

Moderator: Lövely RPG Community

kalle2990
Party member

Re: Official "A Whiff of Steam", the LövelyRPG project topic

Post by kalle2990 »

willurd wrote:I think we should change the character's movement so it matches the angles of the tiles in all 8 directions.
Already done! :)
willurd
Citizen

Post by willurd »

kalle2990 wrote:
willurd wrote:I think we should change the character's movement so it matches the angles of the tiles in all 8 directions.
Already done! :)
Sweet, looks great. I applied your patch.
giniu
Party member

Post by giniu »

just quick note - please do not use slash in tag names, that was the reason for source browsing of our repository not working for quite some time! I.e. the tag "prototype1/iteration1" was faulty. I deleted the tag manually and pushed it a bit illegally, everyone who forked or cloned the repo, should remove this tag before pushing. Second thing, attachments in wiki and tickets works again. See you later, I'm off again to work :)

edit:

some more explanations - tags in git are files under .git/refs/tags - by creating tag with name of prototype1/iteration1, it created subdirectory under tags directory, messing up the thing. Only deleting tag, allowed us to view repository, but not activity log or homepage, had also to remove prototype1 tag, push fake tag and remove it again (get rid of dir, put file with that name in place and remove it then). I also created tag prototype1_iteration1 instead.

All that work on this repo are recommended to start from fresh clone, or manually fix their .git/refs/tags - removing tag using git tag -d, removing directory prototype1 from .git/refs/tags and pulling new, correctly formatted tag from central repo.

Sorry for troubles, I hope everything will work like a charm from now on :)
willurd
Citizen

Post by willurd »

giniu wrote:just quick note - please do not use slash in tag names, that was the reason for source browsing of our repository not working for quite some time! I.e. the tag "prototype1/iteration1" was faulty. I deleted the tag manually and pushed it a bit illegally, everyone who forked or cloned the repo, should remove this tag before pushing. Second thing, attachments in wiki and tickets works again. See you later, I'm off again to work :)

edit:

some more explanations - tags in git are files under .git/refs/tags - by creating tag with name of prototype1/iteration1, it created subdirectory under tags directory, messing up the thing. Only deleting tag, allowed us to view repository, but not activity log or homepage, had also to remove prototype1 tag, push fake tag and remove it again (get rid of dir, put file with that name in place and remove it then). I also created tag prototype1_iteration1 instead.

All that work on this repo are recommended to start from fresh clone, or manually fix their .git/refs/tags - removing tag using git tag -d, removing directory prototype1 from .git/refs/tags and pulling new, correctly formatted tag from central repo.

Sorry for troubles, I hope everything will work like a charm from now on :)
My bad! We use / in our tag names at work and everything seems to be fine. I'm guessing this is a codaset.com issue? In any case, what do you propose for tag/branch naming conventions? For instance:

Tags: release__type__name: 0.0.2__feature__point-and-click-navigation or 0.0.2__prototype__1
Branches: type__name: feature__point-and-click-navigation

I don't necessarily love those names, but I would like to standardize this.
giniu
Party member

Post by giniu »

I'd say use _ instead of / and should be ok :) also, "A/B" works fine, unless you want to delete/move it or create "A" tag, then this can break in strange ways, and it's git thing (how it stores refs), codaset just assumes git repo doesn't have such malformed and displays that window just in case.

For prototypes at least, I think prototype1_iteration1 is ok, eventually we might do proto1.1 or even p1.1, but I don't think anyone would use tags too much anyway :)
giniu
Party member

Post by giniu »

Finally, holidays started for me! It's time to get back to work - WOOHOO :)

Small update on process:
  • Quite quiet here lately, but I and Will were pretty busy - I don't know about Will, but I have some time now :) I hope you haven't though this project died? :)
  • there are some nice new ideas for story and system, including very interesting way to connect story and stats evolution in natural, fitting way. It still needs some work and should be posted/added to docs soon, hope you will like it too :)
  • dblatex 0.3 was released and our docbook->tex->pdf toolchain is now broken, I will fix it soon but it might require quite some changes. Other than that I will add common entities file that will be included everywhere, online system id and some other stuff. It will be mostly technical details, not noticeable in pdf probably. (DONE)
  • I also plan to write and maybe code a bit more to get the project rolling a bit faster
  • Of course as always, we are hiring - if you are interested, join us, lets get back to making Löve together :ultrahappy:
cheers and stay tuned :)
Giniu.

--edit:
Oh, and - we might consider moving to github or gitorious (might require small changes to ticketing if we pick it, afaik gitorious do not have tickets yet, though lately it got project wikis), it might be easier for people to get contributions in, and it might be a bit more stable (though I really like features of codaset). What do others think?

--edit2:
Fixed toolchain, also added common entities. Now instead of typing LÖVE or LövelyRPG you can type &love; or &lovelyrpg; and not worry about caps, accents, etc - also - good editors allow to insert entities from list with single click, so it speeds things up even more. There is also &whiff; entity to quickly type the name.

--edit3:

About the SCM and project hosting change. Please vote on

http://poll.fm/227ka - we close the poll on Saturday. I'd like to gather information from you - would it make contributions easier if we made a move? Where to? Do you have account somewhere and don't want to get new one? I think that those 3 options are enough for now - I discarded gitorious because of tickets, I think we could use such facility. If it have them now, we can add new option to poll. If you have any other suggestions, add them in comments and I will extend possible options.
willurd
Citizen

Post by willurd »

giniu wrote:Finally, holidays started for me! It's time to get back to work - WOOHOO :)

Small update on process:
  • Quite quiet here lately, but I and Will were pretty busy - I don't know about Will, but I have some time now :) I hope you haven't though this project died? :)
I'm still here :) I'm also still pretty busy at work, but I have time to poke in someone regularly, and maybe even to contribute some code (though, for the time being, i'll be pretty limited in that regard).

And body else still around?
Luiji
Party member

Post by Luiji »

I'm pretty sure I saw Bartbes comment on something yesterday in the bug reports...:crazy:
Good bye.
willurd
Citizen

Post by willurd »

Luiji wrote:I'm pretty sure I saw Bartbes comment on something yesterday in the bug reports...:crazy:
hehe :P not exactly what I meant, but you already knew that ;)
partymetroid
Citizen

Post by partymetroid »

So, do you guys need a writer or anything? I'm not a professional per se, but I do believe that I have some good skill with the stronger-than-the-sword writing utensil. Whatever you call it. :)

I think my email info is enabled to other users; and if not, email me at [email protected] or use my IM contact info. I need something to occupy my time. :D