Official "A Whiff of Steam", the LövelyRPG project topic

The LövelyRPG project, a community initiative aiming to create an open source role playing game.

Moderator: Lövely RPG Community

willurd
Citizen

Re: Official "A Whiff of Steam", the LövelyRPG project topic

Post by willurd »

kalle2990 wrote:Okay, I agree with you. This is just a concept :)
I wasn't trying to cut your work down by the way :) I was merely suggesting that we can't really make a logo for a game that hasn't been designed yet. But Robin is right, we have enough to concept on. Keep up the good work :) I'm excited that this project has gotten off to a good start with a good story concept, an idea about aesthetic, and several people already working on it.
Thursdaybloom
Citizen

Post by Thursdaybloom »

Admittedly, I've not read this entire thread, but I'm down for musical assistance when the time comes, since it's the only thing I'm 'good' at.
willurd
Citizen

Post by willurd »

Thursdaybloom wrote:Admittedly, I've not read this entire thread, but I'm down for musical assistance when the time comes, since it's the only thing I'm 'good' at.
Sweet! I recommend you read through the whole thread, this thread as well, and the docs. It's really not that big a read, but it'll give you a good idea of where the project is right now and maybe even inspire you enough to make some concept audio.

By the way, an update for everyone on prototype 2:

The thread has been pretty dead the past couple days, but work has been done on the prototype. I'll have something to push to the repo tonight, and I'll post an update as well.

In the interim, you can all check out this sweet steampunk mac. I think that could be useful for some design inspiration (along with all sorts of other images on the web, of course).
willurd
Citizen

Post by willurd »

Also, apparently I've been living under a rock because I've just discovered PÄSSION. PÄSSION looks nice, it looks like it is under active development, and it has things like ui elements and events/message passing built in. And it's build on top of MiddleClass, which we're currently using for the prototypes. When the time comes to start thinking more about frameworks and whatnot, we should consider using PÄSSION.
Thursdaybloom
Citizen

Post by Thursdaybloom »

willurd wrote:make some concept audio.
I plan on starting some as soon as I can (which unfortunately won't be until next week). I've already read the docs, I just need to read both threads
willurd wrote:some design inspiration
see:
http://steampunkpics.blogspot.com/
http://www.ottens.co.uk/gatehouse/author/Armat
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/steampunk/
willurd
Citizen

Post by willurd »

Thursdaybloom wrote:
willurd wrote:make some concept audio.
I plan on starting some as soon as I can (which unfortunately won't be until next week). I've already read the docs, I just need to read both threads
willurd wrote:some design inspiration
see:
http://steampunkpics.blogspot.com/
http://www.ottens.co.uk/gatehouse/author/Armat
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/steampunk/
Nice links!
willurd
Citizen

Post by willurd »

As promised, my update:

I've done some work on iteration 2 of the first prototype. The character I created is a rectangular prism. He has 8 different visual states for the different directions he can be facing. He can move across the screen at the specified speeds (4 seconds to "run" vertically across the screen, 8 seconds to "walk" and 16 seconds to "sneak"). I also implemented some basic logic so the map will stay in place if the character is moving in the middle of the screen, but will move with the character if he is on the edges. You can move the character with w/a/s/d, or the arrow keys. Pressing left shift will make him walk and pressing left control will make him sneak; the default is run. Note that the character looks a little weird when walking diagonally because those images are drawn on the axes of the projection, but they don't move along those axes. Not a big deal right now though.

As a consequence of how movement was implemented in map editing mode (press "e"), you can see what the character would look like moving along the axes of the projection, not the screen. For this reason I chose to draw the character even during map editing mode.

I've also updated the ticket to include the specific todos for this iteration, so we can easily know when it's complete. How do you guys like this way of keeping track of what's done in a ticket so far?
Attachments
proto1-iter2.love
(64.39 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

You should alter his diagonal movement to match the actual angle of the tiles. It would work if you used 45º tiles, but you use a different perspective so the movement doesn't work right currently and would make the game play awkward when finished.
willurd
Citizen

Post by willurd »

Jasoco wrote:You should alter his diagonal movement to match the actual angle of the tiles. It would work if you used 45º tiles, but you use a different perspective so the movement doesn't work right currently and would make the game play awkward when finished.
Yea, I mentioned the awkwardness of that in the update. I agree with changing his diagonal movement to the angle of the tiles.
willurd
Citizen

Post by willurd »

Actually, part of iteration 2 is to add a point-and-click method of navigation to the prototype. For that I think we should change the character's movement so it matches the angles of the tiles in all 8 directions.